dysong3

some scripts make FM15 crash, but not FM 14, 13 or 12

dysong3    1
Posted (edited)

I have a number of scripts that have worked perfectly for years in previous versions of FileMaker, however in FMP 15 they causse FM to crash.  They only way I have found to avoid the crash is to use the debugger and to use the "step into" button.  That of course is a very cumbersome workaround. You can see one of the culprits below.  Anyone have any ideas what's wrong here?

Untitled 2.jpeg

Edited by dysong3

Wim Decorte    446

On what step does it crash, and what does the crash log say?

As an aside: you should avoid copy and paste.  As step # set a variable to the content of the field.  And in step 4 set the field to the content of the variable.

dysong3    1
Posted (edited)

Sorry for being a dummy, but how do you access the FM crash log?  I've just googled it and found nothing.

Of course you're right about copy and paste.  It just goes to show how old some of these scripts are, they were made before variables were part of FM and I've never got around to correcting them.  That is not the reason for the crashing as I've just corrected it and it still happens.

Edited by dysong3

Lee Smith    144

Have you tried using the Error Capture in your script?

It sounds like your file may have developed corruption. 

Have you tried opening it in the previous version of FileMaker? Does it still crash?

Do you have a backup copy of the file? If so, does it have the same problem?

dysong3    1

Hmm Error capture doesn't seem to offer any help.  The scripts still work perfectly well in previous versions of FM.  I have backups and the oldest backup I could find, more than a year old, behaves in the same manner.  The same scripts make FM15 crash.

Wim Decorte    446

When an app on Mac crashes you have the option to view or save the crash log.  Sometimes there are good clues in there.  Don't paste it here because it is long, paste it into a text editor and attach it here.

Wim Decorte    446

Do you have any onTimers on the any open windows?

Is there a web viewer on any of the layouts involved?

Wim Decorte    446

Remove the web viewer from the layout and see if it still crashes.

dysong3    1

Well the web viewer appears to be the culprit.  But that doesn't resolve my problem as I would like the script to work and keep the web viewer.  Any ideas on how to do that

Wim Decorte    446

We would need to know a lot more detail about the process / workflow that you have going...

tomassia_fm    0

Hello,

Your Os seems to be Sierra and Java 1.6 ?

It seems also that you don't have engouh free memory. Maybe the cute / paste is using to much memory in the clipboard.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ChrisS
      Does anybody know how we can workaround this behaviour of FileMaker Server/Client 15 on Mac/Windows:
      If we are inserting an image into a container field which stores the files externally and the filename is more than 50 characters, FileMaker strips the filename. I know that we cannot change this, but the problem is that another field which stores the filename for InDesign does not get attention to this.
      Is there a way to read the stripped containerfield-filename of FileMaker so that we do not have problems with longer named images?
      Thanks for any help…its driving me crazy :-(

• By 123
      Hey,
      what happens if I create a solution in FM16 and use the "Card Window" feature and someone else who still has FM15 wants to work with my solution? Will this work or is it not even possible to run the FM16 solution?
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By Keith McKay
      I have two tables, A & B, with similar fields.  I want to write a script that will search table B for records that match the fields that are entered in table A.  I am not sure how to do this.  Any suggestions?
    • By Roark Holz
      Hello, I am wondering if someone can help me understand how external container fields work in FileMaker 15. For testing purposes I have created a very simple database shared from our FileMaker 15 Server, the database has two fields, a single text field and a single container field. I have set the container field to store files externally which works, the files end up in a subfolder on the FileMaker server where the database itself resides. 
      Now I would like to change the external location where the files associated with the container are stored, I found a section in the manual called "Managing external storage of container data" but this is where I am running into a problem. While logged into the database as the admin user I go to File-->Manage Containers. There is one location listed under Base Directories: "[hosted location]/Container Test/" however all of the buttons that I should be able to use to manage my containers are grayed out (New..., Edit..., Delete and Transfer Data...). The only buttons in there that work are cancel and OK. It seems like a permissions problem but I am logged in as the admin user with full access.
      Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
      Ultimately I would like files uploaded to my container fields to be stored on a file share, either referenced by UNC path or by mapping a network drive. 
      Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
    • By DreadDamsel
      Hi. I'm using FMPro 12 Advanced.
      Creating a database for our community centre and I need to add a membership number to contacts - but not all of them.
      I've created a separate table for Membership numbers (as not all contacts will have one, so serial numbers aren't appropriate).
      Each membership has a number of details fields.
      It's probably a REALLY logical and stupid problem I'm batting against - but I need to:
      Select a contact>go to their details>add a membership number (go to a floating window layout, enter the details to the serial-number-derived membership) and have the details including the number show up in a tab on the contact's details layout.
      I've created a relationship between my contacts file and my membership file via the Contact_ID>Contact_ID_fk and have played around with other relationships. 
      I've also created a simple script from a button on the Contacts membership tab to go to the Membership Layout window and create a new record. But it keeps creating a new record in the Contacts, not Membership - even though the relationship only has to create new records in the memberships side.
      I'm now running around in circles - please can anyone help me out here?????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.