Richard Fincher

Filemaker Server 13 -> 14 upgrade, Java

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my Filemaker Server 13 to Filemaker Server 14.

To get the new version to install, I had to downgrade my Java8 from u113 to u67 (separately installing the old Java version, not allowing the FMS installer to install Java itself).  I also had to fiddle around to make sure it was running the httpd which comes with FMS and not the one bundled with Mac OS X El Capitan.

My question is, am I now save to upgrade Java back to the latest version.  I'm not anticipating needing to install FMS14 anytime soon, but does the "Deployment" part of FMS use Java, and if so, is it similar fussy about which version?

Updating java past the versions supported by each FMS updater has traditionally been a recipe for disaster.  I wouldn't do it.  Obviously it is not ideal from a security point but that can be mitigated by keeping the FMS box dedicated and isolated from the internet as much as possible.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for this.  Its behind a ASA Firewall, the admin ports IP restricted (16000)

Edited by Richard Fincher

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    Lee Smith 
  • Similar Content

• By Kolbeinn Reginsson
      Hello,
      Im having issue regarding configuring Mirror Sync.  I had a working configuration and successfully was able to sync.  Then I added SQL filtering to the setup and again I got correct response.
      Then again I wanted to add to my configuration other things but then I ran into a problem:  Error while advancing to next page: java.lang.RuntimeException:java.sql.SQLException:Error -1:Unknown error.
      There is no way for me now to configure any more.  I have removed my configuration without any luck and also I have installed Mirror Sync again.  Nothing works.

Any advice?  Are there any hidden settings files to remove or?

Best regards,
      Kolbeinn.

• By Cabinetman
      I'm know I'm way behind the curve but I'm finally at least moving up to FMPA v13. I'm having major issues getting my same java  to work.
      Since this is the Scriptmaster section let me address my java issue that worked fine in v10 ..........
      I've copied the java code from Scriptmaster under v10 I pasted it into Scriptmaster under v13 I added the jars Run script I now get a .... java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.amazonaws.mws.MarketplaceWebServiceClient I'm at a loss .... Works fine in v10.
      Anybody able to offer any ideas ?

• By Ocean
      Hello FMForums,
      First off, hoping that I posted this in the right section.
      I have a script that is scheduled to hourly pull the URL source from a currency conversion site and store it locally for use. If I run the script from my computer on the database it will work fine, however if I run the script from the server it will give me a "scripting error 1631". I found that if you're inserting a "url" from a file then you must use file:/// before it or something like that to fix the issue, however I am inserting from an actual URL and am not sure if I've done something wrong.
      Script image is attached. If there is a better way to share my script then please let me know!

Insert from URL is at line 5 & line 14. If the page source is already in the "source" field and I only run the part that finds the conversion rate in it, it works fine.

• By 3rdparty
      I have been using the the scriptmaster plugin for sometime on a previous Mac, specifically for the Rotate Image function.  The instalation on the previous Mac would have been FMP12 advanced, Scriptmaster plugin from about Sept 2015, and Mac OS 10.11.xx    My solution used the function pasted into the startup script and although it wasn't fast, worked fine.
      I have now made a new installation of the Scriptmater Plugin, v5.05 on a new Mac running OS 10.12.5, FMP advanced 13, and there are a couple of strange things that appear to be assocaited with Java:
      1. When I launch FMP it does not come to the foreground.  Instead the foreground application is Java...
      2. When FMP is active, I see a Java application active in the dock.   This wasnt the case in my prevous installation of Scriptmaster where (if it was active), Java was not a foreground/visible process
      3. When I quit FMP, irrespective of whether the database that I was working on did or did not use a scriptmaster module or function, Java crashes and I get usual dialogue box "Java quit unexpectedly".  I have put a copy of the crash report here.
      Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance

• By miwok2
      since there is no need for SM5.x to install java: does the build in java support Java Unlimited Juristication Policy for 256bit encryption?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.