bennyj710

Is it necessary to encrypt my website with SSL

I have just created an e-commerce site and is it required to encrypt SSL certificate to it. Are there any free options for it?

Yes.  If you are taking any form of payment you have to encrypt the data that flows between the client's browser and your web server.

Even if you are not taking payments, people will appreciate knowing that their info is protected.

"Let's encrypt" provides free SSL certs.  But those are not supported for FileMaker deployments.  Is your e-commerce FM based?

I use Let's Encrypt on my main website, and I have links to my FM Pro database which is separately hosted on MacUSA.net.  Since MacUSA supports HTTPS, it is a seamless SSL experience.

You need to encrypt the SSL certificate
Free encryption SSL certificate is not full, I do not recommend using free:mellow:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Let's Encrypt, regardless of the fact it is free.  They simply do not offer Extended Validation (EV), which is really what you are paying for when you really want to pay for SSL.  However, most people don't need EV.  Indeed, the cost of EV would prevent most people from ever using HTTPS if organizations like Let's Encrypt did not exist.  Do your research on Let's Encrypt before giving them a thumbs down.