Bilbo

Strange portal link behaviour. Is it a bug?

Bilbo    0

Hello everyone, :)

I have found a stange behaviour with filemaker. I have two tables linked by a third one. I want to navigate using the portal. But if I use a script on layout exit, then the behaviour is abnormal.

Please have a look at the enclosed database and try normal, then abnormal layout.

Please tell me if you consider that it is a bug or not. If it is a bug, should I report it to Filemaker Inc. and how?

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Possible bug.fmp12

BruceR    152

Not a bug.

You're a novice.

You exit script in the middle of your GTRR action. Don't.

Wim Decorte    446
2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Hello everyone, :)

I want to navigate using the portal. But if I use a script on layout exit, then the behaviour is abnormal.

What you have is two conflicting events that you handle without regard for each other.

You want your OnButtonClick to done one thing but your OnLayoutExit does another thing.  I have the sense that this is a simplified demo so it may not show exactly what you do in your actual solution.

Events fire in a very particular order (see http://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/2015/05/filemaker-14-script-triggers for a really good overview and sandbox file) and a script attached to an event that runs after your intended event can produce a totally unexpected result if not handled properly.

• Thanks 1

Bilbo    0

The data base I've built is much more complex, with plugins, java, GDT to control external medical devices, etc... I am an autodicact, but of course not a filemaker professional.

Thank you very much for your clarifications and for the time you took to answer. I had understood the mechanism and as you saw identified the problem, but I was not sure that this was a normal filemaker behaviour, as usually scripts do not interrupt other scripts. Now it is clear ;-))

Regards

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jonathan Ackerman
      Hello,
      I am developing an app where users may login with Android or IOS via Webdirect.
      On IOS (safari) via Webdirect-- everything is fine.
      With Android(chrome)-- anytime the script refreshes the screen or switches panels-- all uncommitted data is lost.
      any ideas or workarounds?-- 
      my script checks validation and i really need to refresh to trigger conditional formatting
      also hoping to have a multi-panel entry so the user does not have to scroll to the bottom (layout has about 100 fields)
      thanks!
    • By Jonathan Ackerman
      My client is experiencing empty dialog windows-- starting with the Launcher.
      She is running FileMaker Pro 15 - 32bit on windows.
      She reinstalled several times with same result.
      any ideas?

thanks!

• By jpons
      Hello,
      I am back to working in FMP after a multi-year hiatus, and I am rusty and am currently stuck. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I hope I am posting in the right topic.
      I am building a solution where we have a number of many-to-many relationships that are being used via portals.
      This is the issue that I am having that I am stumped on.
      In this instance I have the following db graph:
      Workshops <--=--> WorkshopStaff <--=--> Staff
      Each workshops may have multiple Staff and Staff may participate in Multiple workshops
      On the Workshops layout I have a portal to WorkshopsStaff
      In order to add Staff to the Workshop I have a button that brings up a popover with a portal that lists all Staff from which to select. I can select a Staff Member and they get added to the WorkshopStaff table.
      This popover was more or less modeled on the "invoices" starter solution
      The way I am displaying the portal inside the popover is via a table occurrence like this:
      Staff <--X--> StaffList (Cartesian relationship)
      My issue is that the portal in the popover (the result of the cartesian relationship) displays and works as intended as long as I have one related entry in the WorkshopClient table.
      But for a new Workshop for which I don't yet have any entries in the WorkshopClient table the portal in my popover comes up empty.
      What I am doing wrong or is there a better way to populate the list from which to select staff?
      Thanks a bunch.
      -J
    • By Karlos Fandango
      My database has only three tables...
      ITEMS - Which is an inventory of tools for the company.
          • BOOKED - Which records an audit of each time each item is booked in or out of the stores
          • TESTED - Which records an audit of each time an electrical tool is PAT tested [safe to use]
      The individual Items are displayed in a list layout called 'Item List' which is basically the 'Home Page'.
      The BOOKED events are displayed in a portal in a 'form layout' called 'Item Booking'. I've set the sort order in the portal to show the last 'booking' at the top. The easiest way to this portal is to click the small blue "go" icon in record on the "Item Bookings" layout.
      What I have tried to do is display the last "booking location" from the portal [at the top] in the 'Item List] so that at we can see the item's current location without having to view the portal each and every time. I managed to display the latest Booking Primary Key - [Max ( Booked::Book_Pk )] - but couldn't get it to reveal where it was last booked too.
      I shall spare you the list of things I have tried but before giving up completely thought to seek help here where I received helped before. Personally, I thought an auto entry by calculation would have been best but I just couldn't figure it out.
      Please find the file attached.
      Any help would greatly be appreciated.
      I have FileMaker 13 on my Mac at home but V15 elsewhere, if you alter the file please export in V13 to spare me having to leave the house to open it up on the other computer [V15].

Test-23.fmp12
    • By Gunther Stern
      I am so frustrated after two solid days of working on this really simple join table example.  I am trying to create a little iphone application in which I can quickly track my homeless outreach contacts on the fly.  I have been so frustrated.  I made a lot of progress at one point by just deleting the portal and starting over.  I attached two databases, test which works just the way it is supposed to.  A simple widget model based on something I saw on youtube.  and Client test which is my attempt.  Test works fine.  Client test is very similar with a couple of extra fields including a calculated full name field but nothing significantly different.  Right now the problem is the relationship will not create a new record in the join table.  Maybe I don't even need a join table.  Not sure but the join table was one of my attempts at a solution.  I have been using filemaker since 6 but only sporadically.  I used to be able to create simple solutions on the fly but I just spent the whole weekend trying to get this to work.  I don't have any hair left to pull out!  Help! 
      test.fmp12
      NewClientTest.fmp12

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.