TJ53

Create or edit portal record using card window

TJ53    3

I guess people are using a similar technique for creating and editing portal records after the new FM16 card window feature, any posts or links about this?

In any case, this is how I'm doing it (sample attached) ... any feedback appreciated!

Create or edit portal records.fmp12

Fitch    148

Looks good. Nice job handling the Commit.

One thing you might consider is using GTRR to open the card window rather than Open + Find.

• Like 1

TJ53    3

Thank you! the exit script (false) on record commit script trigger comes handy for this situation.

Thank you for the tip about GTRR, I was thinking on a situation where the portal record needs to created or updated from different contexts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By wedgeman
      So i'm dealing with two tables.

1.  VisitTable.
      2. GraphicsTable

in a VisitTable layout, i have one or two portals related to the GraphicsTable, each related by a different factor.  One portal would be related by a Date field, the other would be a ClientName field..
      My desire is to click on a thumbnail in either one of these portals, and have that selected image be displayed in a separate/larger image window (which could be a container field in the current table, Or another portal?  I don't care how - i just need to have it show up) 
      I don't know the best method for doing this (ie., click thumbnail to have image fillin a separate location).  In this particular instance, I don't want this to be a separate window, but to display in a container field view on the current window/layout. 

how do I accomplish this?
      thx

• By wedgeman
      Table 1 (Visits) is a clinic visit table, with numerous fields of data.
      Table 2 (Prescriptions) is a related table for prescriptions given on a particular visit. Table2 is related to Table1 by fkey  - - -    T1ID.
      Table 3 (Patient) is a patient table (contacts).  PatientID is the identifier for Patient and is related in Visits,Prescriptions, and Patient
      I need to have (in a Visits layout) a portal (self-related by PatientID), which shows a list of previous visits to the clinic by this patient.
      On this portal I need to show any (1 or many) Prescriptions (from Prescriptions table) which would've been given during that particular Visit
      So it's in essence a need to show 2 foreign tables (1 being a self-view by PatientID and the other being the Prescriptions but filtered by PatientID
      I have been unable to figure out a good method for this.
      My only thought has been to give up on working *IN* Visits, but creating a separate table ("Combiner"), and in Combiner, hold all Visits and Prescription data.
      Could I also have a Combiner table that's simply an active "calculation" table, where these two tables are 'looked up' on an as-needed basis, combined, and fed into Visits via a portal? (so it's not actually held data, but is looked up as needed)
      what's the preferred method?
    • By Rachel
      This is my first time posting, and I apologize if this is the wrong place. I've only been filemakering for a few months, so again, apologies if this is a stupid problem.
      I could use some advice.   I'm working on a solution that must create monthly reports in the following form:   http://i.imgur.com/Cf4Fjic.png   I've given up trying to bend the summary fields to my will, and began using the following approach:   Make two new tables - Queries and Reports.   In queries table, I have fields for M1, M2, M3, Region, Category, Subcategory and four result fields (M1, M2, M3 and YTD.) I also have foreign key into the reports table.   Then in reports table, I portal into the Queries table.   When report is run, a bunch of queries in queries table are created. The Results are populated via ExecuteSQL expressions.   My question is mainly this: Is this too backwards? I feel like maybe this is too weird of an approach and I"m just missing something simple about reporting and creating summaries?

Thanks!  
    • By NewBoard
      I currently have a form that contains a portal. In the portal there is a value that will either be "Accepted" or "Rejected". I'm wondering if there's a way to parse through this table to check if any related values have a "Rejected" or if they are all "Accepted". Then using that outcome, decide if the form should display Rejected or Accepted.
      Please let me know if I need to provide any more information and/or images.
      Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!
    • By Auraboros
      Hi...I have created a database using a "modified" anchor buoy method and so far everything works great...but...I have a portal in a "join table" that works fine...however, my button that is supposed to open the record in the portal row does not function...it returns nothing. The records are indeed related (see RG) as the fields show up from the related table without relational conflicts, but this button that is supposed to open the "library" table with the related record pulled up simply does nothing. 
      I have attached the DB. Also a screen shot of the table where the portal is (it is actually a join table layout, this may be the problem). I don't understand how the button (with the little arrow) does not go to the table that the actual portal record, which IS related because I see it show up on the portal row...what is not right here?
      Thanks!
      Todd

**MusicalAmericaPRESUB copy.fmp12

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.