bcooney    102

We have users syncing using laptops all over different timezones. However, there is the possibility that the laptop's time/zone are not set to automatically update and either can be set incorrectly. Moreover, we cannot rely on any internet access. So, a user may travel from Rome to Moscow and never realize that the laptop's clock/zone is wrong. 

We're looking for ideas to at least alert the user that they might have incorrect clock settings.

Ideas welcome.

comment    1,390
1 hour ago, bcooney said:

alert the user that they might have incorrect clock settings.

Based on what? If I have traveled from Rome to Moscow, and I am not connected to the internet, how can the computer detect it's no longer in Rome?

bcooney    102

I know, comment. I realize we cannot say "your clock is incorrect" but we can say, "Please confirm that the local time is hh:mm and that your offset is +/- n"  and if we want to get fancy, actually show the cities for that offset.

comment    1,390
3 minutes ago, bcooney said:

but we can say, "Please confirm that the local time is hh:mm

Again, based on what? The computer thinks it's still in Rome - so what would prompt it to alert the local time in Moscow of all places?

bcooney    102

No trigger. We always show this on file open. 

comment    1,390

Then I don't understand your question. Of course you can show a custom dialog saying something like =

"Your computer's local time is " & Get ( CurrentTime )

and if you like, you can also calculate the offset by comparing it to Get ( CurrentTimeUTCMilliseconds ). The problem here is that users get used to the alert and will dismiss it as a matter of course without thinking.

I'd be careful with the cities, because every city has it's own daylight saving time schedule, and you would have to keep an up-to-date Olson database of your own. 

Edited by comment

bcooney    102

"The problem here is that users get used to the alert and will dismiss it as a matter of course without thinking."

Yep.

Cities - yes, I agree. Most Europeans clients seem very comfortable with offsets.

Just trying to think of some way that we can get the user to check their clock/time zone. Esp. if they grab a laptop from a previous event and don't bother to check the time.

Maybe it's as simple as {{CurrentDate}} {{CurrentTime}} on the Main Menu.

Systems work so much better when there are no users.

comment    1,390
15 minutes ago, bcooney said:

Systems work so much better when there are no users.

Ain't that the holy truth.

But why do you need to depend on the user? You said this has to do with "users syncing using laptops all over different timezones". I don't know much about syncing, but shouldn't it be based on UTC alone? And if not, what difference does it make if I sync my computer from Rome using Rome time, or do exactly the same thing (sync my computer using Rome time) from Moscow?

bcooney    102

Well, users often form a local LAN and work off a host. We'd want all users on that LAN to have accurate clocks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who Viewed the Topic

• Similar Content

• By rivet
      After voting up the 'Time Picker' suggestion in Filemaker's new Product Ideas,  I thought perhaps I could just simplify the method of input without a picker and without punctuation.
      - enter times using only numbers.
      - AM/PM is determined by the Workday Starting Hour.
      - use punctuation to override.
      NOTE:
      - the Workday Starting Hour only considers hours 1-12 right now.
      - I have added a 'clamp' in the time fields auto-enter calc to the keep the start and end times logical.

Enjoy and please post any improvements 

RIVET_rapid_time_entry_v1.zip
    • By Poruchan
      Hi,
      Since I could not use 10ths of seconds in FMP I’ve been converting the time and presenting it this way [Time*24**60*60]. This is fine by me, but I suppose some users might not care for it. Is there a way to reverse this in FMP — to take, i.e., 73.3 and get back 1:13.3 or 1.13.3?

Thanks,
      Paul
    • By Tim Rawles
      Hi
      First of all I have only just started experimenting with MirrorSync and overall it's a pretty slick product.
      One issue I have come across is that my spoke database (on ipad) is showing time fields with values 1 hour ahead of the values in the hub database.
      When I connect directly to the hub from the same iPad or from a PC then the time values are as expected.
      As far as I can tell the server, PC and iPad are all configured to be in the same timezone (UTC / London).
      Any advice please?
      Tim
    • By adampwsmith
      (My first post to this forum - if I've misplaced this question please let me know and I'll happily move to a more appropriate folder.)

I'm trying to build a database that I can use to log video footage. I've a system that seems to be working for me so far, but there's a couple of tools that would be extremely useful to me and I can't find any way to make them happen.

Attached is an image of what it looks like at the moment.

I've got one entry for each film clip. I can name it, give it tags for people who appear in the clear or themes, make some notes about the type of shot and location, etc.    One of the key features is the portal on the right. I go through each clip, stop at significant moments, take a frame grab, and post it in a related table table that has the frame, the time, and a short description.
      At the moment I'm taking the frame grabs manually using Command-Shift-Control-4, area select, click, and then pasting that into the small container field. Then I manually enter the time and the optional description.
      What I really want is a function or plug in that lets me pause the video, press a button, and be able to get the current time of a movie in a container field, and capture the current frame.

The Troi plug-in can get timecode but only from an external file and it needs to be proper timecode format, which is not part of DSLR footage. And it can't get the image of a specific frame.

Is there any way to do this?   Thanks Adam
    • By seankelley
      Hello,

I've been using filemaker for quite some time and tried to use it to build a "backtimer" log for Live television applications.

however, after much searching, i cannot find a "real time running clock" function or plug in that allows a field to be updated with the "current time" in real time(system clock every second).

a script does now work for my application as i need to be able to use the database to type notes as the time calc runs in the background.

I have not been able to get a web viewer window to work because i still need a script to update the field every second.

In my search i have read several times that filemaker cannot do this.

I find this hard to believe.

Any help is much appreciated.
      Thx,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.