Matrix-style layout of images—Multiple records in single row layout challenge

alonjr

This topic is 1435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I am a newbie to FileMaker but a long time programmer ...

I am working on an Art Gallery collection tracking application. A key layout in this application is a matrix of images, each representing one artwork item in the gallery's collection. Clicking on any image will take you to a details layout of that particular artwork (see link below to image)

I've defined an Artworks table such that each row of this table documents a single artwork with fields such as Title, Artist, Material, YearCreated, Dimension, Price, Image, etc.

List Layout and Portals, both limit you to vertical rendering of records, they cannot render records horizontally. I therefore moved on to adding a new Table called ArtworkMatrix where each row references 5 artwork records from the Artworks Table. With this technique I was hoping to be able to render rows of 5 images each.

My challenge now is to write a script that automatically populates the ArtoworkMatrix Table. I was not able to piece it together with the little documentation and examples available out there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Screenshot of Art Gallery image matrix layout

19 minutes ago, alonjr said:

List Layout and Portals, both limit you to vertical rendering of records, they cannot render records horizontally.

But you can place several portals side-by-side, and set each portal to start at a different row. And if you have more records, you can page thru them by filtering either the relationship or the portal (see an example here). 

This topic is 1435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.