How to have second portal open dependent on action in first portal

SwissMac

This topic is 862 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

2 hours ago, SwissMac said:

I don't disagree that engaging a developer to design your complete project can be helpful in some (most?) cases.

To be clear, I only suggest you hire a Developer for your base structure (normalization and cardinality) and not the complete project since, with a more complex business, it can require a lot of requirements gathering.  I recommend it many times to folks since it can save them from (what I call) 'unraveling the knitting'. 

... support for paid developers who I do respect. In shorter supply though are good Teachers,

Many Developers are paid to teach other Developers or in-house folks on their projects, me included (on both ends) and good teachers should actually be paid more IMO.  Anyway, this is the best forum available and Comment is the best teacher so you're at the right place!  I commend you for your desire to learn and your determination to get it right the first time. :thumbsup:

SWISSMAC - You will also find that Utube FREE tutorials are abundant - many are very poorly presented, but on any specific issue after viewing a few you can understand the basics of then identify the best one(s) to keep and view, which I find invariably then provide a solution.  The advantage of Utube is that you see and better understand the concept or issue being discussed and coded - a picture paints a thousand words.

2 hours ago, chris7of9 said:

SWISSMAC - You will also find that Utube FREE tutorials are abundant - many are very poorly presented, but on any specific issue after viewing a few you can understand the basics of then identify the best one(s) to keep and view, which I find invariably then provide a solution.  The advantage of Utube is that you see and better understand the concept or issue being discussed and coded - a picture paints a thousand words.

YouTube isn't for everyone - you can't ask for clarification of a certain point, and most of them rush through as if they are just there to compete for "cleverest developer" prizes. Too many miss out vital steps because to them they are "obvious" and need no explanation when for a beginner, they do. Others are on pure ego trips. If they don't get to the point in the first minute you just know they are going to ramble on loving the sound of their own voice for ten minutes without addressing the thing they are trying to present. I did see a few really excellent ones though, one from a woman with a high pitched voice who was extremely clear and helpful, and another from a young Chinese guy who got me started on this topic. Sorry, I'm lousy wih names. I find forums the best place of all, but i guess I'm a couple of generations older than you! lol! I do know who 7 of 9 is however... but my ST days featured Kirk and Spock.

12 hours ago, SwissMac said:

YouTube isn't for everyone - you can't ask for clarification of a certain point, and most of them rush through as if they are just there to compete for "cleverest developer" prizes. Too many miss out vital steps because to them they are "obvious" and need no explanation when for a beginner, they do. Others are on pure ego trips. If they don't get to the point in the first minute you just know they are going to ramble on loving the sound of their own voice for ten minutes without addressing the thing they are trying to present. I did see a few really excellent ones though, one from a woman with a high pitched voice who was extremely clear and helpful, and another from a young Chinese guy who got me started on this topic. Sorry, I'm lousy wih names. I find forums the best place of all, but i guess I'm a couple of generations older than you! lol! I do know who 7 of 9 is however... but my ST days featured Kirk and Spock.

Hence I did say"...many are poorly presented..."  I have found that with the best ones you CAN contact the author and discuss the issue, so for me generally work better than forums, that seem to have low memebership

NB You also cannot assume another persons age relative to yours!

1 hour ago, chris7of9 said:

Hence I did say"...many are poorly presented..."  I have found that with the best ones you CAN contact the author and discuss the issue, so for me generally work better than forums, that seem to have low memebership

NB You also cannot assume another persons age relative to yours!

I'm glad they work for you; they don't work for me.

This topic is 862 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.