page-breaks in reports

This topic is 6138 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

1. I said earlier that EVERYTHING needs to be calculated - that includes any dividing space you may wish to have between "parts".

2. I am not convinced that is a correct statement.

In any case, this is only a workaround, and I am sure some things can be found that will be impossible to simulate in this manner. All things considered, I think it works pretty well.

A perfect solution would have FMI include a "Keep together with next/previous" option on a sub-summary part. Even then, Filemaker's reporting capabilities are pretty basic - if you want fancy, export your data into a page-layout program.

Good idea to calculate added vertical space. I'll do that.

Keep together with next/previous has been requested for years. I don't know why FileMaker hasn't reacted.

But this is an excellent workaround and I'm very grateful you thought it up. I shall certainly use it.

How do you make container fields shrink? That would make adding those thick coloured lines they want a lot easier. Text is not the most satisfactory solution!

You could use a a long string of "g"'s in the webdings font in a mergefield in Orange underneath the text, when required, You can even condtionally make a fontsize change!

--sd

OK, I'll have to recheck that, though I remember facing the same difficulty in earlier versions of FileMaker.

Yes, the text solution (webdings or whatever) is what I'm doing. I've had trouble in the past with mixed platforms with webdings and the like. Especially with older Macs. I'm not often there to help install fonts, so I try to avoid using it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading all the posts I can find on this topic and I want to make sure I understand what is going. I have a report with a sub-summary section where the body information is large enough that it will not fit on one page. I am trying to get the sub-summary information to repeat on the subsequent page(s) when this occurs. I believe from what I have read that there is not a straight-forward way to accomplish this goal - am I correct? I am new to FileMaker having used Microsoft Access. In Access this can easily be done in a report by telling the "section" (same thing as sub-summary) needs to repeat.

Thanks

This topic is 6138 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.