This topic is 6588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Daniele,

I'm aware that using a number field will not allow the carriage return. But I guess I'm struggling with understanding why you are creating a new field (number) for every field in which you wish to prevent a carriage return - when field behavior > Go to next object using Tab & Return will do the same thing?

Can you explain the benefit of this method over a simple field-behavior modification? It is quite possible I'm missing something here ... :wink2:

Hi LaRetta

what about a FIND by that field ?

The natural (most used) key has to be RETURN !

And You are aware of that, but how many others ?

(me only today, and I coudn't find a post about this ! ) ;)

True, it would not work in Find Mode(). Then I suppose I would suggest changing the implication of your demo file. Because not allowing carriage returns in a text field implies in BROWSE mode ... and your demo, in fact, has no Find button or mention of Find Mode(); nor does it have a Find script (and presents itself in Browse mode).

BTW, Comment demo'd this method while in Find Mode() about 6 months ago, I believe. Using a number field in Find() is sweet. But I would use globals in that case ... and not standard fields. In fact, you can't FIND text in a number field; nor can you find in globals - but you can pass the value from the global into the standard field by other methods. You can't pass a value (taken from what a User enters in a field in Find) and place it into a Find(). That wording was a bit poor ... but play with this idea a bit more and you will see what I mean.

But I like your graphic. :wink2:

You can't pass a value (taken from what a User enters into the number field in Find) from a standard number field into a Find().

this is why I set those text fields to allow to be entered in FIND MODE...and those text fields are upper !

Okay. So now you're searching on the regular text fields and hitting enter to perform the find ... just like it always does. I guess I'm still missing something here.

The number fields aren't even needed to produce the field highlights ... a rectangle overlay will do that as well. But thanks for sharing the cool graphic!! :smile2:

The number fields aren't even needed to produce the field highlights ...

That was only an add !

a rectangle overlay will do that as well.

Can you post an example ! ( I think no, you need a field, the same or another ) ;)

a rectangle overlay will do that as well.

Well, something more like this (attached) ... it's a bit sloppy, I didn't spend long on it ...

Only two globals for ALL fields which need to be searched. Two global NUMBERS. You only need the maximum number of globals that a User can be presented on one layout at one time. I would just refuse to create a duplicate standard number field for every one of my text fields; nor would I stack the fields. I would event-trigger fire it probably. Simply, I have never found the need to fix a problem that, to me, isn't broken. But I'm still open ... I always want to learn new ideas.

I like the thought of variables also but haven't played with them as much as I'd like. :wink2:

NoCRAllowed_.zip

Ok

So you loose the "engraved" effect of the fields and there are some flickers with that laaarge gray rectangle.

Also you had to script the FIND.

BTW I always want to learn new ideas, too

"So you loose the "engraved" effect of the fields and there are some flickers with that laaarge gray rectangle."

True. But it takes far less resources to add a laaarge gray rectangle and two rectangles behind the fields than adding a number field for EACH field. Flicker - not necessarily. It depends upon several factors. I had used YOUR colors and it is simply more obvious. The less the difference between the colors, the less the flicker; the lighter the colors (and the background the highlight), the less the flicker - light colors flash less than dark. I also did not optimize it for flash effect, ie, synch the object stacking order by re-pasting simultaneously nor grouping/locking.

"Also you had to script the FIND."

That Find was not part of my response to you. As I quoted at the beginning, the demo was to show field highlight. I don't need those number fields at all. I would perform a standard Find. The remainder of my post was simply in response to your overall demo. If I needed to capture User-entered Find criteria, I would trigger it. But even scripting the find is better, in my mind, than all the added fields. And your post was, after all, showing a method of finding then? And NOT removing/preventing carriage returns in Browse? Because again ... a standard field would do the trick and none of this would be necessary.

But then I never allow finds on standard layouts anyway ... too much chance the User changes browse data thinking they are in find. Rather, I switch them to a dedicated find layout - in which case, all of this would be moot anyway. If I want to pass 'find request' data into my scripting, I would use a global (because that is the only way to 'capture' find data). Otherwise I would simply use the regular fields and let Users perform a NORMAL FIND then hit [ENTER] to perform it - and no carriage return in sight, none planted in the data and none before, during or after the find.

Well, I'm off. I've played too long tonight and I have work to do. :smile2:

I'm really interested in understanding the highlighting feature that Laretta demonstrated. I tried dissecting the example file but I'm still missing something. Here's what I think I understand...

The background color will eventually become the highlight color.

A colored square is put on top of the entire background - this will be the visible background color.

The fields are made transparent.

When I tried reproducing this trick I was able to get the highlight to show through to the fields when they were entered, however all of the fields on the layout were highlighted not just the one I selected.

What am I missing. I know Laretta said something about putting individual squares behind the fields in the same color as the large square, but this didn't seem to have any effect. What am I missing?

I really like this simple approach to field highlighting!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.