Horizontal Portal Layout

Art Reasonover

This topic is 3504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey, thanks all...I just recently get around to looking into these examples and it seems like the matrix is the best fit. I've since figured out a way to whittle down what needs to be displayed but why work around it when there is a truly dynamic solution. Yall are the best!

I was referred to a link, I thought it was from this thread but definately somehwere in the forum here. It was an example from 24U Software of a horizontal portal using GetNthRecord. It also contained an example of a matrix-style portal. This matrix deal is what I really was looking for because many of the layouts I need to create are reproductions of excel spreadsheets (ironically, they will most likely need to be exported as excel documents as well, but structured like the layout as opposed to the one row of data across the sheet as the default produces). I've chopped up the file pretty good trying to deconstruct it otherwise I'd post it but here's a link to the download page.

http://www.24usoftware.com/Portals#download

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I followed _chrisK's link to 24U's horizontal portals demo file and was also impressed with this as a solution until I tried to edit one of the matrix cells from browse mode.

Each of these matrix cells are calculated and therefore are uneditable. My client needs to be able to adjust any of the values being displayed within these cells.

The number of rows or columns making up each instance of the matrix varies. In my clients case the rows are an Activity Entry and the Columns are the Person working on that activity. The cells are how many time units that person spends on that activity.

I have attached an excel document of exactly what she is after. The section hilighted in yellow is the part that I am baffled in how to develop.

I want to start a matrix with a default set of perhaps 7 activities (which my client will then either add to or remove from) and also start with a default set of people. Sometimes one or two people may not be required and so will be deleted from the matrix, however it is also possible that 10 extra people may be needed for one instance of the matrix.

So the key here is to make the rows and columns dynamic whilst still retaining the capability of setting how many time units each of them will need to spend on each activity.

Could anyone give me a steer in the right direction or recommend another demo file that solves this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Toby

HorizontalPortal.zip

Yes, the cells are uneditable. I didn't realize that (but should have, and should have mentioned that) because my layouts that would use the matrix are all for displaying final information and strictly draw on records from various layouts throughout my file that are continuoulsy edited throught a job process.

• 8 years later...

Are you still using version 8?

If not, please update your profile to reflect your current FileMake version, OS, and platform in case they have changed.

To make any changes, just follow the steps you will find here. MY PROFILE.

What is the purpose of your post?

Either they have or they haven’t upgraded. If they have, then it should be included in their profile and if they haven’t, then we’ll know what functions, etc. were available (I think).

Lee

Lee, I understand what you're saying (if indeed your post was directed my way) but this thread was from 2006 and it's uncertain, to say the least, if the OP is still a member or still active on the forum. That's all. Still, I suppose, a good idea to remind the poster to update his/her profile. This is probably the first time I've seen a post from 8 years ago being replied to in the present!

And the value of this post is even more relevant today than ever, particularly with the improvements to filtered portals in versions 12 and 13.  :-)  I'm glad to see it popped forward ... more things like this should be.

BTW, would you explain the conditional formatting on the thumbnails for me?  When I view the colours scrolling forward, I see the mathematics and understand that part, but not the purpose of the colorisation.  Is it just to show that one can use colour to identify the record according to a calculated value?  :-)

Sorry about the commotion caused by my recent post in this old thread. It has come to my attention that people are still referred to here and I wanted to make sure they don't miss a more modern version.

BTW, would you explain the conditional formatting on the thumbnails for me?  When I view the colours scrolling forward, I see the mathematics and understand that part, but not the purpose of the colorisation.  Is it just to show that one can use colour to identify the record according to a calculated value?  :-)

IIRC (!) the thumbnails are designed to simulate images by placing texts in a container field (in order to keep the file size down). The conditional formatting is just another way to enhance that illusion.

This topic is 3504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.