Filemaker Corp's upgrade pricing burns customers that recently bought last version

This topic is 6111 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

What's wrong with FileMaker Corp.?

1. Below is a self-explanatory email I sent to FileMaker Corp.'s volume licensing dept and legal dept - no reply to date.

2. If anyone knows the email addresses for FileMaker Corp executive officers, please share so I can forward directly to a particular person.

"Sir/Madam:

Attached please find an invoice showing that my small firm just spent $1,638 for FMPro Server 8 and a 5-user pack of version 8.5 that I received on or about April 20, 2007.

So less than 90 days after spending this amount of money - a lot for a small firm - I have to buy the "all new" vers 9 server and 5 user for another, what, $1,000??!!

Please, Filemaker folks, "say it ain't so." How about a free upgrade path for users that bought within prior 90 days, just so we don't feel we got "burned" for being stupid enough to buy Filemaker at what turns out to be 90 days before the "biggest release in nine years"?

Please reply, and please do something to help those of us poor saps that bought within the last 90 days.

Thanks,

Scott"

3. Why can't FileMaker Corp.'s customer service and pricing live up to its technical excellence?

4. Am I the only one that loves the FileMaker products but is less enthusiastic about the management policies?

5. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a policy that purchasers within last 90 or 120, even, get free or nominal price upgrade path?

So now I'm the idiot that bought an office's worth of the last version for $1,600+ only to have to pay another $1,000 or so just 90 days later to upgrade to the "All New" version. Reminds me of Microsoft's arrogance and greed, frankly.

Just shaking my head in disbelief that such smart technical people can be such heavy-handed businesspeople, seemingly so out-of-touch with real users.

Say it ain't so, Filemaker...

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/188539/post/259362/hl//fromsearch/1/#259362

.. Then again I don't use a Mac so I'm just repeating what someone else has said -- but windows being released once every 2-7 years vs. Mac... dunno.

Why did you not purchase the Maintenance Program. Then you would have gotten the upgrade to version 9 for free. You might ask them if you can upgrade for the cost of Maintenance.

I believe we purchased the maintenance for our company for 300$. That was for 20 client copies and server.

Michael

• Newbies

Unfortunately I was not offered maintenance.

And charging to upgrade is not really the issue - the issue is offering at least some "reasonable" window to upgrade at a nominal cost to those that just bought your product a very short while ago.

Charging to upgrade a guy that bought 8.5 the very day before 9 was released is much different than charging someone that used 8.5 for a year or 6 months, even, I think - and that's all I'd like Filemaker to do - acknowledge there is a difference and that their current pricing does not fairly account for it, leaving customers like me feeling betrayed no matter how much I like the product.

Again, it just plain old poor customer service that makes no sense. I expected more, frankly, from the folks that produce this product.

Maintenance may not have been available as an option on this type 5 pack plus Server license. That's why I asked. I believe that the window is 30 days, although I am not 100% sure about that.

All my clients have maintenance on their licenses, and my own site license has maintenance as well. So I never really pay much attention to the windows.

FMI is closed tomorrow (7/21) I believe. But you could call Customer Support on Monday and discuss this with them.

Steven

From the link that aholtzapfel provided.

For every license (single-user and/or 5 License Pack) of FileMaker Pro 8.5, FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced, FileMaker Server 8 and FileMaker Server 8 Advanced you purchased between June 10, 2007 and July 25, 2007, you will qualify to upgrade the product you purchased at the special price of US $30 plus applicable sales tax. This offer valid in the U.S. and Canada only. Submission must be postmarked by August 8, 2007.

• Newbies

Even if not helpful to me, at least I am pleased to see that FileMaker is helping those that purchased from and after June 10th.

And you are right, of course, that 8.5 is fine. Just makes me crazy to spend a lot only to have the creator come out and say just a bit later how they did a soup-to-nuts overhaul and how much better, yap, yap, yap (or for Seinfeld fans, yadda, yadda, yadda...).

All of you have been very kind to share your time with me on this, and for that I thank you.

We pay 209EUR per license 1EUR=1.36USD

Can you explain that??

:titanic:

This might be a question that would be better asked of Sales at FileMaker Inc.

My guess would be that there is a difference in deliver costs, that they need to include.

Do they need to pay a import tax, currency exchange rates, shipping, etc.?

Lee

"They are totally revised versions" .. what so they rebuild the OS from scratch at each release? Can't you point me to a resource of something... e.g. http://www.betanews.com/article/1033096124 Mac releases bluetooth in paid release, Windows releases bluetooth in a service pack.

To be honest from what i've read, the Mac updates generally seem to be performance upgrades that deal with flaws (or new ways of optimizing) their own code and may offer tid bits of new code to the equivalent of things like "Windows defender", the pop-up blocker, firewalls, network optimization.

Anyway, I have nothing against Apple for charging for their updates - its support, they have every right to - the only reason i bring any of this is up is because Microsoft was called "arrogant" in direct comparison to Apple and I still don't get where that's coming from.

Steven (OAM) wrote: "FMI is closed tomorrow (7/21) I believe."

So will most of the English-reading world. Except for book shops. :woohoo:

When are non-English language versions of that book being released?

Can't you point me to a resource of something...

See if this helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS_X

Basically, each point rev (2., .3, .4, etc.) is a major revision. Like going from Windows 98 to 2000 to XP or whatever.

"Basically, each point rev (2., .3, .4, etc.) is a major revision."

Or from another perspective, each point revision added more "new" features that used to be in MacOS 9.

For instance, Widgets (introduced in 10.4) are really just Desk Accessories (introduced in System 1).

Not that I don't like Mac OS X...

I agree that it sucks to buy a version and suddenly see a new version out, with no way of getting discounts. Remmeber this is not specific to FMP. I did the same with Adobe. I bought the CS2 and 2 wks later CS3 was out. Do you think they gave a crap, no they want me to pay another 500 dollars now to upgrade !

We all roughly know when FM comes up with upgrades or potentially a new version, so learn when to buy and when to wait !

Upgrading is completely optional, and fortunately I got the pay the full upgrade price rather than the 30$ upgrade promotion they are offering. A suggestion in the future would be to join TechNet or FBA, as they advertise they give pre-release information to those members. By the way, while you're purchasing a new copy of FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced, take advantage of another promotion to get a year of TechNet!

Just a few things I had to do and hope it helps you

http://filemaker.com/purchase/store/promos .html

From what you've read? Unless you are using something day in and day out and have direct experience with said subject, how can you make such a rash generalization?

Not trying to bash ya, but just pointing out the obvious.

"

To be honest from what i've read, the Mac updates generally seem to be performance upgrades that deal with flaws (or new ways of optimizing) their own code and may offer tid bits of new code to the equivalent of things like "Windows defender", the pop-up blocker, firewalls, network optimization.

Anyway, I have nothing against Apple for charging for their updates - its support, they have every right to - the only reason i bring any of this is up is because Microsoft was called "arrogant" in direct comparison to Apple and I still don't get where that's coming from.

From what i've read of what other people (Mac Users) and the official Mac releases have said. Anyway I got over this a while back - you have read the progression of my post where i gradually run out of energy and care less and less until i concede that Mac as a company have every right to charge support costs for whatever they want - If the user chooses to upgrade, there's obviously something beneficial in it.

I simply sought a way to differentiate windows service packs which release thousands of fixes and optimizations with Mac OS sub versions given that Microsoft was called a greedy arrogant corporation in direct comparison to Apple for no particular reason.

Anywho, I'm pretty satisfied at where I am.

And PS. I said "from what I've read" for a reason - I sought other people to point out the difference, this is not a generalization. A generalization would be - I read one article and am now a Mac expert and have deduced that Apple is a bad bad person!!

I hope you guys understand sarcasm.

This topic is 6111 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.