Cannot Open Remote Files

stanmcman

This topic is 4766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just upgraged to FMP 9 Advanced yesterday. We have FMS 7 and FMP 7 on all workstations (except mine now...which has been upgraded).

I use a shortcut on the desktop to open our database:

fmp7://10.168.1.101/customers.fp7

It doesn't work with FMP 9 Advance. So, I tried the alternative. File > Open > Remote. In the dialog box, it shows the correct host on the left side, but it doesn't show any available files. There should be several.

So, I opened FMP 7, File > Open > Remote, and it lists all the files there. I can still open the database under FMP 7 but NOT under FMP 9 Advance. When I manually enter the network file path, it says:

"Customers.fp7 could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host".

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

When I manually enter the network file path

I hope you didnt try to go and open this file through a windows network path while being served. That is a big no-no.

You said that you upgraded so I am assuming that on that same box you had 7 Pro working fine correct?

1. No, no...I know better than that. The phrase which you quoted comes from the context of the Open Remote Dialog Box. At the bottom of the box, you can specify the Network File Path.

2. Yes this on the same box. I had FMP 7 running just fine for the past 2 years. I just upgraded the same box to FMP 9 Advanced two days ago.

Do I need to completely UNINSTALL FMP 7? It's got to be something simple...but what?

I agree...but then, what is the problem? I'm sure it's got to be something small and extremely simple. It usually is.

I don't mind looking the fool. Go ahead, embarrass me. Show me just how EASY a solution it is...only please show me :

Thanks,

Stan

The shortcut link on my desktop is: fmp7://10.168.1.101/customers.fp7, which works (worked) just fine with FMP 7.

In the Open Remote Dialog Box, the Network File Path is: fmnet:/10.168.1.101/customer.fp7

This works fine in FMP 7, because I can see the list of available files for the local host 10.168.1.101. But FMP 9 Advance doesn't show any available files. So I manually enter fmnet:/10.168.1.101/customer.fp7 and it gives me the error message mentioned in my first post.

One additional observation...my desktop shortcut: fmp7://10.168.1.101/customers.fp7 stopped working immediately after the FMP 9 install. So currently, in order to get into my database, I must first open FMP 7, and then open remote, and select the customers file.

This is beginning to be more hassle than it's worth. :

Edited by Guest

But FMP 9 Advance doesn't show any available files

Strange. Can you look at the "Sharing" settings? By chance is the "Network access to file" set to specify users by privilege set...

This database solution is hosted on FMS 7. I closed all the databases via FM Server Admin Console and opened them locally on the server. "Network access to file" is set to "All Users" for every file.

Edited by Guest

One additional observation...my desktop shortcut: fmp7://10.168.1.101/customers.fp7 stopped working immediately after the FMP 9 install. So currently, in order to get into my database, I must first open FMP 7, and then open remote, and select the customers file.

This is most likely because the default in Windows for your .fp7 file is your new FM9 Pro Advanced. You can go back and set it to FM7.

You can change this in Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types

Have you tried...

fmp9://10.168.1.101/customers.fp7

...?

Yes, but that doesn't work on my computer at all.

This is most likely because the default in Windows for your .fp7 file is your new FM9 Pro Advanced. You can go back and set it to FM7.

You can change this in Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types

I made this change, and it works for any FP7 databases I open, but not the desktop shortcut to the files shared on the server (the link mentioned above). It still starts up FMP 9, but refuses to open the file.

Fortunately I CAN still get into my daily company database via FMP 7. But I would REALLY like to get into it with FMP 9 Advanced!

So does the silence indicate that there is no solution?

Is it truly possible that, after loading FMP9 Advance on a box that has been successfully running FMP7 (and still has it loaded), I am NOT going to be able to use my FMP 9 Advance to open our database, which is hosted on FMP 7 Server?

That just DOESN'T make any sense. I LOVE FMP, but I would HATE to think that this is NOT a possibility. I am totally willing to admit my stupidity, if only someone could show me where I am screwing up here.

The reason that your desktop shortcuts are opening in FM9 is because the FMP7 network protocol is still associated with FM9. This association happened when you installed FM9. There is no such thing as an FMP9 protocol. The fp7 file extension association is unrelated.

To change the association...

On Mac:

-Download and install "More Internet" (http://www.monkeyfood.com/software/MoreInternet/)

-Use it (appears in Mac preferences) to change the association.

On Win:

-Use the registry editor to edit the key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesFMP7shellopencommand

As for your original problem, I have no clue. I have an OS X Leopard machine running FMP 9.0v3 that wont open any databases that are hosted on a non-client version of FM. I get the same error and symptoms as you. It started happening when the FM v3 client update was installed. Unfortunately, uninstalling/reinstalling FM and going back to v1 did not work. Something permanently changed. FM is mission critical for this machine. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

-HUIT

Edited by Guest

Ok, so now I'm just a bit curious... could it be that I'm not actually totally delusional? Is it a bona fide possibility that there's a real, genuine problem?

Granted, at this point we're only talking my pc, and 1 OS X Leopard, and 1 OS X Tiger, but hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or knows of anyone else who has experienced this problem?

I'm finding it hard to fathom that, with over 300 views to this topic, there isn't any solution to be found.

At what point to I scrap it all and throw in the towel? What's next? Where do I turn from here? I am open to some good educated suggestions, because frankly, I'm at a loss at this point.

...time to pull out my abacus.

I updated from FMPA8.5 to FMPA9.0 quite a few months ago and everything works fine. I too am using desktop shortcuts like this to get to the hosted file:

fmp7://servername/filename

And like you I still have the older version (8.5) loaded on my PC as well.

I don't think this is the cause of your problem but I'll bring it up because it is similar. When 8.0 (I think) was first released the folks at Filemaker apparently forgot to include the Windows registry modifications that enable the fmp7 internet protocol because within 5 minutes of installing that version, I discovered that my shortcut didn't work anymore. I heard very few other complaints probably because the old "opener file" method was still in wide use. In fact I think the "opener file" method is still probably more popular than the much simpler fmp7 shortcut that you and I use.

Now that I've said all that I really don't know what the problem could be with your system. My upgrade from 8.5 to 9.0 works as expected.

You could always go with an opener file.

You could always go with an opener file.

I hate to show my ignorance, but what exactly is an "opener file", and how would it help solve my current problem (even if it was just a "work-around, that would be acceptable to me at this point).

Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell, an opener file is an FM file that resides on each user's own local PC. It has only one script and that script opens the file that is hosted on your server. The script on the local PC is set to run on startup.

So basically you open this local file and it opens the hosted file then the local file closes itself.

As the developer you will need to build in some way for you to bypass the script in case you ever need to change something.

Most old time FM developers have really embraced the idea of these opener files because that was the only way to open a hosted file in the old days but I tossed them out back when FMI introduced the much simpler fmp7 protocol.

Much has been written about opener files so if you do a seach here I'm confident that you will find a good example.

Ted,

I did a search on opener files. I now understand what they are, what they do, and how to implement them.

The only problem is, they will not work for me. This is because they either: 1) "open" a remote file or, 2) call a script from that remote file, such as the "startup" script, and selects that window.

None of that helps, since I cannot gain access to the hosted files. I cannot open remote, and I cannot call a script from the remote file, because I cannot get into it. My only two options for getting into it are "open remote", or to access it directly, which I cannot do, since it is currently hosted and open by FMS 7.

Am I missing something here? I don't think so. I think the "opener file" concept is very straight forward, but it is designed more to automate users getting into the database. These users should already have access to the hosted file. The "opener file" is just a shortcut to get them right in without having to go through 2-3 steps.

In my case, I have NO access to the hosted file from within FMP9. But I DO have access to the hosted files from within FMP7 (on the same machine).

Sorry to be such a bother, but I'm more than SLIGHTLY irritated and with no hope in sight.

I don't want to try this, but does anyone think it would help to do a complete uninstall of both FMP7 and FMP9, and do a reinstall of ONLY FMP9?

Just for kicks...

I am assuming you already checked FileMaker.com.

This is all they say about not seeing a file.

ISSUE:

Cannot see hosted database on FileMaker Server using FileMaker Pro.

RESOLUTION:

Make sure that there are no firewalls on either systems or in between that is blocking Port 5003 TCP and 5003 UDP.

Make sure that the database is set to being visible on the server.

a. Open the database using a copy of FileMaker Pro (FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server should never be run simultaneously on the same machine), and go to the FileMaker Network Preferences.

Mac: FileMaker Pro > Sharing > FileMaker Network

Windows: Edit > Sharing > FileMaker Network

b. Select the database(s) that are to be hosted and make sure that the checkbox that states “Don’t display in Open Remote File dialog” is not checked.

If hosting the file on a Mac, please check the permissions on the file so that the group permissions are set to "fmsadmin" with read & write permissions.

Check to see if the files are open on FileMaker Server.

Check the date and time for both the FileMaker Server machine and the FileMaker Pro machine and make sure they are set correctly.

EXPLANATION:

An explanation of Step 5:

The server.pem file is a certificate that is created upon installation of FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server. If the time had been set forward by several months for example and the application had then been installed, server.pem would use that date/time as a timestamp for the certificate.

Seeing you have already tried some of that, and the fact that FMP7 sees the file fine...Leads me to question if a FMP 9 client can access a FMS 7 hosted file. I am still searching around for an answer to that question.

Just for kicks...

I am assuming you already checked FileMaker.com.

uh... (sheepish grin) ...hadn't thot of that. Good call...unfortunately, after reviewing the info, I'm still in the same boat.

1. Make sure that there are no firewalls on either systems or in between that is blocking Port 5003 TCP and 5003 UDP.

This is a moot point, because I can successfully use the same computer to access the file in question under FMP 7.

2. Make sure that the database is set to being visible on the server.

Again, obviously a moot point, because under FMP 7 the files show up.

3. If hosting the file on a Mac...

That one's out...I'm on a PC.

4. Check to see if the files are open on FileMaker Server.

Moot: They are most definitely open and available.

5. Check the date and time...

They are the same on both my computer and the server: Date and Time.

Seeing you have already tried some of that, and the fact that FMP7 sees the file fine...Leads me to question if a FMP 9 client can access a FMS 7 hosted file. I am still searching around for an answer to that question.

I appreciate your searching. I will delve into that area as well, although I can't imagine not being able to do this. Would I actually be the FIRST person to try this?

It appears from everything I have come across so far, that it should be fine.

I was hoping someone would let us know if they have, in fact, used a Server 7 hosted database while accessing it through FMP 9.

I will keep in looking.

Hi.

A client of mine experienced the exact same issue after upgrading a Filemaker Pro 9v1 to 9v3 today.

The client is running Mac OS X 10.5.5.

Reinstalling to 9v1 did not resolve the issue.

The local server is FMS 9.0.3.326 on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

The really strange thing is that this only affects files hosted on the local server, external servers works just fine.

I am going to call Filemaker support on this issue tomorrow.

Andreas

I've seen this exact issue with all new installs of FMP 8.5 & 9 on our network since I reinstalled our FMP 9 Server last week. The explanation regarding the server.pem cert file from KB article # 5493 got me thinking this might be an SSL issue.

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5493

Sure enough, when I turned off the Secured Connections option in the FMS Admin application the clients could then see the files being broadcast and open them up. That gets us up and running for now. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix this cert issue.

Regards,

Darrin

It is in fact an SSL issue. I fixed the problem by replacing the server.pem SSL certificate file with one from a working system. While this is a full working solution, it comes with a caveat. This will allow you to leave SSL encryption enabled, but having the same cert on multiple client machines is generally a bad idea.

On Win:

-Replace server.pem at the "Program Files > FileMaker > FileMaker " directory.

On Mac:

-Replace server.pem at the "Applications > FileMaker > FileMaker .app > Contents > MacOS" directory. Note: A *.app (application) package can be accessed by right/control clicking on it and choosing "Show Package Contents".

The bug is caused because the FileMaker installer fails to create a valid certificate file on install. Each cert file contains "not before" and "not after" dates to define the scope of the certificate. The "not before" date is the date of the install. The "not after" date is 863913600 seconds (9,999 days) after the install date. If you add 863913600 seconds to any date after September 22th, 2008, the date is incorrectly interpreted by the installer as a date on or after Jan 1st, 1970. This makes the cert unusable because the "not after" date is in 1970 and 2008 is definitely after 1970. This affects multiple versions of FileMaker. Seems like the cause is not a code change or update. Time just had to pass to make this one happen.

The best solution to the problem is to do a reinstall of the application while having your computer's clock set to a date before September 22th, 2008, apply all updates and set the date back to today. The cert that's created should be valid.

We have tried to change the date manually, but the encrypted portion of the certificate relies on the original date set. It did not work.

Loosely related material:

http://www.2038bug.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Edited by Guest
changed "solved" to "fixed" and corrected directory path

Looking at the date of the original post, I may be off on the exact date this thing should have started. Perhaps it's slightly different for each platform. Anyway, try the solution and see what happens...

Edited by Guest

It is in fact an SSL issue. I solved the problem by replacing the server.pem SSL certificate file with one from a working system. While this is a full working solution, it comes with a caveat. This will allow you to leave SSL encryption enabled, but having the same cert on multiple client machines is generally a bad idea.

The best solution to the problem is to do a reinstall of the application while having your computer's clock set to a date before September 22th, 2008, apply all updates and set the date back to today. The cert that's created should be valid.

Oh sure, huit, you solved the problem :P Here's some more background info I hadn't yet passed along. Oh, and I submitted a bug report about this to FileMaker today.

The problem is like the Year 2038 problem but where that involves a signed 32 bit value starting from 1/1/1970, this is an unsigned 32 bit value starting from 1/1/1900. The "Internet clock" rollover is February 7, 2036 06:28:16 UTC, 9,999 days after September 22, 2008 Dates with Special Importance in Computing

I don't know if NTP is literally involved in the certificate generation but this is the timestamp scheme it uses. NTP uses an unsigned 64 bit value to store timestamps but 32 of the bits are for fractions of a second.

A little googling turned up a problem with that the rollover in Microsoft Word 2000 WD2000: Tables with Dates Beyond the Year 2036 Sort Incorrectly I'm sure there are others as it likely affects any program storing the timestamp as a 32bit unsigned integer that starts counting from 1/1/1900.

Edited by Guest
added comment about bug report

Well done folks. :P

We use SSL on all of our FMS boxes but haven't been hit with this yet because our machines are all cloned form an install made months ago. That may change at any time of course.

This topic is 4766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.