bigwang916

Auto Expand Text Field - Help Please

bigwang916    0

Hi everyone! I have been searching all over for answers, and there seems to be none. I have a data entry "Comments" field and I want the field to expand when the text goes over the size of the field. Is there ANY possible way? I do not want to make a huge 'Comments' field and use the slide function for printing. I want the field to expand as the text goes. I was thinking there might be a solution using some calculation, script trigger, or conditional formatting. I haven't figured it out yet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Ocean West    103

for screen use you can add a scroll bar to the text field then the user can scroll down - if you are referring to printing you will need to explore a different option - you can stretch the field as long as you think you need and have it slide up / but you can't do the inverse and expand to encompass largest content.

check out the technique in the download section

http://fmforums.com/forum/files/file/5-multipage-letter/

and this article http://www.filemakerhacks.com/?p=2941

Argyle    0

Hello! We have a similar question and unfortunately the scroll and slide up features do not help. We have a layout that shows events within a week. This layout has a portal with records for each employee going to said event. We need to be able to see all of the employees (up to about 125 on very busy events) going to an event without the layout having pages and pages of blank spaces. Is there any script or magic trick that can make a portal expand with each record?

Lee Smith    144

For the example file, the link is 

comment    1,370
7 minutes ago, Argyle said:

Is there any script or magic trick that can make a portal expand with each record?

No. However, you can present a list view of the table joining Events and Employees, sorted by event, with a sub-summary part showing the event details.

Argyle    0
22 hours ago, comment said:

No. However, you can present a list view of the table joining Events and Employees, sorted by event, with a sub-summary part showing the event details.

Aha! That solved a lot of the issue. Thank you!

comment    1,370

Note that this won't show events that have no employees assigned to them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By shevyshevy
      Hi All,
      I don't really know if the Title really explains my situation, but here it is..
      I have Four Fields: Name, Gender, Class and Policy
      Policy Field is an Unstored Calculation with the calculation below with result set to Text
      If ( Gender = "Male" &  Class = "Primary"; "RUNNING" ;"EXPIRED")
      Meaning, my intention is to Set the Policy field as Running, if the Student is Male and in Primary Class, otherwise, it should be set to Expired..
      The calculation does not work, some fields are displayed correctly with the correct value while others are not.
      However, if I remove the Logic "&" from the calculation making it only a single criterion, If ( Gender = "Male" ; "RUNNING" ;"EXPIRED"), then it works well..
      Why can't I compare several fields using "&"  or "OR"  with that function?
      Is there a better way of actualizing this?

• By adrianatwork
      I am importing a csv file and need to use matched field names when importing: the provider of the file adds fields from time to time. However one of the field names in the cvs file ends with a space and when managing field names I do not seem to be able to define a field name which ends in a space. Every time I do the field name has the trailing space removed when I save it. Does anyone have a solution?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By dkey
      Hi all
      After moving to FMP advanced 13 I still don't know how to automatically add a new field in the current layout I work on.
      Before it was simple but now I always need to drag the icon into the layout in Layout mode.
      Is there a way to tell the app to ALWAYS add new fileds to the current layout
      Thanks a lot

• By Pyorkie
      Hi
      Anyone have an idea on how to display the Record number in a field?
      I want the field to display the record number every time I got to the "Next or Previous" (scroll through) record.
      Thanks in advance for any help.

pyorkie
    • By JayPretorius
      Hi There,
      I am currently using the StartingPoint Template for my business. 
      My current problem that needs solving is I created a few new fields and portals on the estimates module in which I must manually put a customer Reference Number, portal created for showing the Cubic meterage, and a calculation field which calculates the total cartons needed as a result of the Quantity input and the Master carton qty. 
      The problem enters when I "move to invoice" it does not relay all the information from Estimates to the invoice module. I am struggling for the answer, having tried creating portals (perhaps I am not setting up the portal correctly?) 

Any guidance on this would help greatly! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.