Sign in to follow this  
thejeraldo

Web Direct Questions

I have a few questions about the new Web Direct, I am new to FileMaker and has only been using it for development in 2 months. We have acquired FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced recently but without a server. Now from what I understand is you can CWP with FM 12 but will need a server. You also need FileMaker Server if you go with WD too right? And which one is better? I was trying to test Web Direct in FileMaker Server 13 Trial but is having no luck since I am having a "Database not available" error whenever I try to open my database or the sample one. Can anyone help me out with this?

We can't tell you whether WebDirect is better than CWP without knowing a lot more about what you are trying to achieve both in terms of functionality and number of users.  They are also two different skill sets: WebDirecit is strictly FM wherewas CWP is your choice of server-side (PHP, .NET, Ruby,...) and client-side scripting (javascript and html5,...).  So there is a knowledge investment there.

WebDirect promises to reduce the development cost compared to CWP but the deployment cost is likely going to be higher (licenses, hardware,...).

As to the error: check the logs first.  Make sure that the FMS admin console reports that the files are available and that the web server and the web publishing part of FMS are running.

Wim Decorte pretty much summed up the overview of the difference between CWP and WD.

Regarding the error, check in your file's security settings that at least one privilege set has WebDirect enabled.

Go sign up for Filemaker TechNet and then purchase the Filemaker Developer Subscription.  You both the latest copy of FMPA, plus development copies of both FMS and FMSA that you can use.  It's well worth the 99 bucks per year, plus you get access to the Developer forums.

I just had a similar error "Database not available" when I switched my FMS13 deployment from one machine to two.  (First uninstalling on the single machine, then installing on the worker, then reinstalling in the master, which was the original single)  After finishing the deployment assistant, I was able to connect to the server with FMP client, and I was able to see the WebDirect homepage when connecting to the new worker, and all the databases appeared as they did for the previous deployment.

However when I tried to open one, I got the "not available" error.  Rebooting the servers didn't help, so next I edited the deployment using the admin console.  This time I entered the IP address of the worker machine instead of the DNS name, and after finishing the redeployment, all seems to be working.  So anyway, if you have a 2-machine deployment, check on that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    Michelle Logan 
  • Similar Content

• By Productive Computing, Inc.
      San Diego, CA - October 11, 2017 - Productive Computing, Inc., a Platinum member of the FileMaker® Business Alliance, announces a new dedicated hosting plan for FileMaker Server 15 and 16. The Micro Team plan, available for $99 a month, gives the FileMaker community a more affordable hosting option to get their FileMaker solutions in the cloud.
      Productive Computing's dedicated hosting plans allow users to host their solutions in a secure environment and take advantage of the benefits of FileMaker Server 15 and 16.
      "We created the Micro Team hosting plan to give smaller organizations and independent FileMaker developers a more affordable dedicated hosting option. We realized that there were customers out there with fewer users and smaller files who didn't need the robust computing power offered by our other plans. The Micro Team plan can easily handle a small contact or order management system or can be used by developers to temporarily host client files that they are working on." - Marc Larochelle, CEO, Productive Computing, Inc.
      This new dedicated hosting plan will offer the same benefits as the other plans: free setup, robust backup schedules, and SSL certificates. All servers are fully managed by PCI's certified hosting team at no additional charge. Customers can choose to provide their own FileMaker Server license or they will be able to purchase their license through Productive Computing at a discount.
      Every Dedicated Hosting plan includes:
      -          Free personalized setup
      -          Fully managed dedicated server
      -          SSL certificate
      -          FileMaker Server Admin Console access
      -          Regular automatic backups
      -          Dropbox availability
      -          Optional Amazon Web Services (AWS) consultation
      -          Access to FileMaker and AWS certified developers for assistance and questions
      -          Secure uploads, downloads and connections
      -          PHP/ CWP/ ODBC/ JDBC/ XML connectivity
      -          FMI API trial access
      -          Ability to use FileMaker WebDirect and FileMaker Go
      -          Optional customized integration with third-party tools, AWS S3, and more

Dedicated hosting plans start as low as $99/month and Shared hosting plans are available for as little as $30/month. Productive Computing also offers setup, consultation, and monthly managed services for FileMaker Cloud, starting at $39/mo. 
      Please visit www.filemakerhostingservice.com for a complete list of plans and hosting service details.

Plug-in Integration and FileMaker Pro Support:
      Want help getting this plug-in professionally installed into your FileMaker solution?  Do you have other database enhancements you would like to have programmed?  We can help!
      The process is easy - complete our online Request For Quote form (RFQ) or call us directly at (760) 510-1200 and one of our certified developers can work with you on improving your solution today.
      About Productive Computing, Inc.
      Since 1996, Productive Computing, Inc. has been helping its customers become more efficient and profitable by implementing custom software solutions using FileMaker Pro. Utilizing FileMaker Pro as a rapid application development tool, their certified FileMaker developers can create custom applications that a business can run on their Windows or Macintosh desktop computers, in a web browser, on an iPad or iPhone or shared simultaneously on all of these platforms.
      Productive Computing, Inc. also produces Core4 CRM and Core5 Starter Edition, two off-the-shelf productivity solutions designed to automate your workflow, as well as a suite of FileMaker Pro plug-ins that allow FileMaker Pro to integrate with third-party applications including Outlook, QuickBooks, Apple's Address Book and iCal, PDF forms, digital signatures, and biometric fingerprint scanners.
      In addition, Productive Computing, Inc. is a full-service FileMaker Pro hosting company. FileMaker hosting services allow customers to host their own FileMaker Pro solutions on Productive Computing servers in the cloud instead of purchasing and supporting the necessary server infrastructure themselves. These same servers also provide the infrastructure for customers who would prefer to subscribe to Productive Computing's Core4, Core5, or Vessel Service Solutions under a SaaS (Software as a Service) pricing model.
      Productive Computing, Inc. is one of only a few companies in the United States to have earned the highly respected Platinum level membership within the FileMaker Business Alliance and recently won the exclusive FileMaker Business Alliance Partner of the Year award.

Productive Computing, Inc.
      950 Boardwalk, Suite 205
      San Marcos, CA 92078
      www.ProductiveComputing.com
      sales@productivecomputing.com
      (760) 510-1200

Press Contacts:
      Keith Larochelle
      (760) 510-1200
      # # #
      ---------------------------------------------------
    • By Ashley Colburn
      I am posting my database to Filemaker cloud.  I have tested my solution on FM Go 16 without issue and wanted to begin to test on Web Direct.  After configuring the file in FileMaker Advanced for Web Direct and testing successfully on my Mac, the file is no longer available in FM Go 16.
      Should you be able to run a file over Filemaker cloud and access via FM Go or Web Direct as the user chooses, or is it one or the other? 
    • By Richard Carlton

PHP VIDEO 2 - Process Walkthrough: https://youtu.be/yAQX0B9Hfyk
      PHP VIDEO 3 - Sample Code Review: https://youtu.be/9thUCa_q_eY
      Download Sample Code: http://fmstartingpoint.com/links/dl_proc.php?idc=CPN_S0067
      Live PHP Page to try out: http://fmstartingpoint.com/links/dl_proc.php?idc=CPN_R0068
      FileMaker CWP Guide: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/16/en/fms16_cwp_guide.pdf
    • By Productive Computing, Inc.
      San Diego, CA - July 21, 2017 - Productive Computing, Inc., a Platinum member of the FileMaker® Business Alliance, is proud to announce the release of the Exchange Manipulator SE (Server Edition) plug-in for Exchange Web Services. This server-side plug-in connects FileMaker directly to Microsoft Exchange Web Services, allowing users to push and pull Contact, Calendar, Task, Mail and Note data from an Exchange mailbox or with public and shared folders in an Exchange environment.

"By utilizing FileMaker Server and “perform script on server” to handle the processing, users can shuffle data back and forth to Exchange using FileMaker Pro, Go, or WebDirect. Server-side plug-ins allow users to truly capitalize on FileMaker's platform versatility and flexible deployment for their apps. For the first time ever, FileMaker Server can talk directly to an Exchange server (without requiring Outlook) and you can queue up dozens of requests to process in the background in seconds." Marc Larochelle, Chief Executive Officer, Productive Computing, Inc.

The Exchange Manipulator SE plug-in is confirmed compatible with FileMaker Server 14-16, Windows Server 2012 and 2016, Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and 2016, and Microsoft 365 Hosted Exchange. This release also features new client and server-side demo files and a new Developer's Guide, Functions Guide, and Migration Guide for assistance integrating the plug-in. Scripting changes are required for those interested in migrating from using Outlook Manipulator to using Exchange Manipulator SE.

Key features of Exchange Manipulator SE:
      · Import and parse emails from Exchange into FileMaker to create a complete archive of all email correspondence
      · Send plain text or HTML formatted emails with multiple attachments from FileMaker
      · Having your FileMaker data in Exchange allows all Exchange connected devices access to that data
      · Send official Exchange meeting requests and cancellations directly from FileMaker
      · Accept, decline, and tentatively accept meeting Exchange invitations
      · Push or pull tasks and notes between FileMaker and Exchange
      · Set due dates for tasks and mark tasks as complete
      · Get and set contact images
      · Push and pull information from any device using FileMaker Pro, Go, and WebDirect
      · Send email "On Behalf of" or "From" another user in the Exchange environment
      · Save messages as .eml files (allows you to archive your email in a FileMaker container or elsewhere)
      · Send official Exchange meeting requests to required and optional attendees
      · Set reminder rules to utilize the pop-up reminders within your chosen calendar application

Benefits of a Server license include:
      · Added convenience of installing the server plug-in on one machine
      · Unlimited users on one server
      · Ability to automatically update changes to users' Exchange mailboxes using FileMaker Server's scripting engine 
      · Communicate directly to Exchange without requiring Outlook
      · Communicate directly to any Exchange mailbox 

The Exchange Manipulator SE plug-in is available for an annual price of $3,000 for a Server license. The Server license includes a free copy of the client-side plug-in for development and authentication purposes. For more information on the Exchange Manipulator SE plug-in and to download a demo, visit www.exchangemanipulator.com or call 760-510-1200.

FileMaker Pro Support and Plug-in Integration:
      Do you have database enhancements you would like to have programmed?  Want help getting a plug-in professionally installed into your FileMaker solution?  We can help!

The process is easy - complete our online Request For Quote form (RFQ) or call us directly at (760) 510-1200 and one of our certified developers can work with you on improving your solution today.

About Productive Computing, Inc.
      Since 1996, Productive Computing, Inc. has been helping its customers become more efficient and profitable by implementing custom software solutions using FileMaker Pro. Utilizing FileMaker Pro as a rapid application development tool, their certified FileMaker developers can create custom applications that a business can run on their Windows or Macintosh desktop computers, in a web browser, on an iPad or iPhone or shared simultaneously on all of these platforms.

Productive Computing, Inc. also produces Core4 CRM and Core5 Starter Edition, two off-the-shelf productivity solutions designed to automate your workflow, as well as a suite of FileMaker Pro plug-ins that allow FileMaker Pro to integrate with third party applications including Outlook, QuickBooks, Apple Contacts and Calendar, PDF forms, digital signatures, and biometric fingerprint scanners.

In addition, Productive Computing, Inc. is a full-service FileMaker Pro hosting company. FileMaker hosting services allow customers to host their own FileMaker Pro solutions on Productive Computing servers in the cloud instead of purchasing and supporting the necessary server infrastructure themselves. These same servers also provide the infrastructure for customers who would prefer to subscribe to Productive Computing's Core4, Core5, or Vessel Service Solutions under a SaaS (Software as a Service) pricing model.

Productive Computing, Inc. is one of only a few companies in the United States to have earned the highly respected Platinum level membership within the FileMaker Business Alliance and recently won the exclusive FileMaker Business Alliance Partner of the Year award.

950 Boardwalk, Suite 205
      San Marcos, CA 92078
      www.ProductiveComputing.com
      sales@productivecomputing.com
      (760) 510-1200

Press Contacts:
      Keith Larochelle
      (760) 510-1200

# # #
      ---------------------------------------------------

• By Donald Clark
      I have a FileMaker server 13.v10 database solution that changed somehow during development and now does not display several WebDirect objects properly.
      For starters, the text shows up as white on a white background, which it did not do before.  We have been and are using the Cool Grey theme.
      Other problems with display:
      1.  3 value lists will not display:  One a regular list from a set of values, another list from a related layout, and a third a filtered list from another layout.  Another value list works normally
      2.  A picture in a container field (locally stored, not external yet) does not show.
      3.  A filtered, sorted portal does not show the records, nor are they accessible in the portal. The filtering and sorting are straightforward.
      We have tried several things to correct the issue:
      1.  Made a new layout, grouped everything together and paste it on the new layout.
      2.  Made a new layout and made the fields and portal from scratch.
      3.  Simplified and changed the relationships to the portal
      4.  Substituted simplified relationships for the value lists (just for testing.
      5.  Tried the db on FM Server 16 and made most of the changes above, nothing was different.
      6.  Used Dropdowns, Popups, and radio buttons, no change in behavior
      7.  We had FMDiff examine the db for corruption, but they found no problems, so file corruption is not an issue.  We also compacted the db in order to reindex all indexed fields, but that did not help.

Everything works fine using FM client.  Only WebDirect has problems.

A photo showing the problems on WebDirect is attached, as is a photo showing the fields properly displayed in FileMaker Client.  Please forgive the look and feel; the photos show the layout as we made changes and are troubleshooting.
      Has anyone seen this before?  Do you have any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.