Richmilnix    0

I'm having a devil of a time getting FMS14 in good shape. I'm looking for help installing a certificate, but also including a couple of details in case they inspire any other good advice.

FMS is hosting my twenty databases and my organization's employees are reaching them without a hitch. It's also true that I can see a sample database via WebDirect. FileMaker customer support has told me that that means the software is installed correctly and there's nothing else they can do to help me.

It's also true that when I use Remote Desktop Connection to remote in to the terminal, I can administer FMS (because I'm effectively sitting in front of it) . . . but that I can't administer it from a browser window in my own terminal.

One of the browser errors I get involves Secure Connection Failed, so I'm hoping that an SSL install will solve the problem. I'm in over my head, though.

In the WinServer 2008 IIS Manager, I have generated & installed a self-signed certificate. In the same interface, I'm using the command Create Certificate Request to generate the CSR to send to GeoTrust. I have no idea what value goes in the field Common Name (which I guess would be a domain, right, if I were tied to DNS? Is it the terminal's MAC address?) I don't want to take a stab in the dark.

Ocean West    104

Check out this resource

Edited by Ocean West

Richmilnix    0

That resource was terrific. Armed with that understanding, I've acquired a geoTrust certificate and am about to face installing it. Thanks.

I am also posting though to say that the heart of the problem seems to have been some level of corrupt installation. Once I uninstalled, did a system restore in Windows, manually reinstalled each of the Win updates for the last few months, then reinstalled FMS (this time identifying it via a subdomain, which advice I got from your video), the problems have disappeared.

So, never underestimate the value of just sitting there for three hours restarting and pressing 'Install.'

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By cnschulz
      Gday, 
      In an effort to figure out how SSL works with filemaker I have enabled the default SSL cert that comes with filemaker. Unfortunately I am still presented with an SSL error when I connect to the databases hosted on the server (see image). What steps am I missing in order to get this certificate to work? I understand this is a "not for production" certificate however it is in date and valid and we are using it to see how a production installation would be achieved. FM Server 16, FMPro 16 Windows server 2012.
      In order to reproduce the error we:
      1. Enabled SSL on the FM server
      2. Restarted the service
      3. Checked SSL certificate in FM admin console
      4. Connected to server using client

Any help appreciated. 

• By -dp-
      I'm trying to upload a new solution to FMS. When I attempted to connect using the saved credentials, it threw the error "Invalid name/password. Please try again." Unfortunately, the login pane was grayed out, so I could not make any changes. So, I went into Keychain Access and deleted the credentials. Now, there are no saved credentials, but I am still unable to access the login pane. I see my server in Local Hosts, the IP address is correct, and I can access the Admin Console. But I can't log in to upload. I have managed to lock myself out of my own server. How embarrassing is that?
      FMS 16
      FMPA 16
      MacOS Sierra
    • By cnschulz
      Gday, 

We are running FM server 16 with FM pro 16 and FM Go 16 clients. We have do not use SSL certs as yet. When opening databases on the go client, the user is presented with a dialog stating that the connection is not secure and would they like to proceed. Secondly, programmatic access to the server is failing due to this new error being returned from the first "ping" of the server. I understand this is normal behaviour but obviously we want to get rid of this.
      We need to sign our server. The problem is that it is used on the intranet only and CA's will not sign machines that are not public facing. We will not be making our server public facing.
      What are the best practices surrounding getting this machine certified?
      Any help appreciated.
    • By DataCruncher
      Hello all - 

So I got a larger MirrorSync installation to run beautifully between two FMS15 server sites. Sync times are a charm.

My question is what the best practice is to make MirrorSync sync fastest. Currently, our hub server is in a colocation datacenter in Los Angeles with Gigabit connection. 
      The spoke server is in our branch office, syncing through a 100/50 Mbit connection. 
      MirrorSync server runs in the same datacenter as the hub server. 

My question is whether it would make sense to install the mirror sync server at the branch office location instead. That way, mirror sync could connect locally to the spoke server at 1 Gbit, and only pull all changes from the hub server over the 100/50Mbit internet connection. 
      The way we have it now, mirror sync at the data center, it would only connect to the spoke server on the 50/100 Mbit connection. 

Since I don't know how mirror sync handles data traffic to the hub and spoke server (or if there is any difference at all), I don't know which way is better. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Robert

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.