scrumpto

Reviews and feedback of different hosting options?

I'm unsure where exactly to post this so I'll try it here. If there's a better place please move this but it seems to be the correct category.

I'm looking to setup hosting for a 15 member team who will be primarily accessing the database via WebDirect. However, I'd like to connect the solution to MySQL and open up parts of the database to 50 other users via Custom Web Publishing (php).

I'd appreciate any feedback on hosting companies who can handle some or all of the following: licensing, WebDirect, Custom Web Publishing and ODBC. I looked into FileMaker Cloud but it doesn't seem to be able to handle CWP. Someone mentioned today that you can go with AWS apart from Cloud and I'd love to hear feedback on that as well. Anything you guys can share on good and less than desirable solutions would be most appreciated.

Feel free to recommend your own company or PM me and tell me why I'll like working with you.

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 360Works
      Most of us in the FileMaker Community are well aware of how to run FileMaker Server or FileMaker Cloud on Amazon Web Services (AWS), but we can do more!

At 360Works, we believe in outside-the-box thinking to continually push the FileMaker platform to places it has not yet been.

For this reason, Jesse Barnum, President of 360Works, spent time developing new and innovative ways to integrate the AWS multitude of services into FileMaker.
      At the 2018 FileMaker Developer Conference, he presented on how to interact directly with AWS Web Service APIs, signing AWS calls (authentication), and specific demos of:
      Kinesis: how to make record changes to FileMaker records with a single HTTP request (audit logging without the increased demand on FileMaker Server) SQS:message queuing service Transcribe: voice and memo recording that automatically gets recorded in your solution as text S3: file uploads/file management Athena: run SQL queries against audit log data stored on S3  
      Here's what the FileMaker Community thought of the DevCon Session:

"Demonstrating the real reach of FileMaker's ability to integrate with other services. Power indescribable!! While a lot of the session covered things that were beyond my skill level, but I left feeling like I could learn it!"

"Introduced new tools I can take advantage for my customers"

"This was the best session of the entire conference. I highly anticipate anything from Jesse Barnum in the future."

"Jesse may be the consummate presenter. Great material, expertly delivered. Incredibly worthwhile session. Thank you!"
        Couldn’t make it this year? Check out the recap video and demo materials ---> Watch Video
        Stay updated with 360Works:

• By HOnza
      [FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE]

24U releases 24U Toolbox Plug-In 3.0 for FileMaker 17
      The popular toolbox of external functions for FileMaker® 17 now can convert rich-text to HTML with CSS

Prague, CZ — October 30, 2018 — 24U Software has released version 3.0 of 24U Toolbox Plug-In, and update of their popular toolbox of useful external function for daily use in FileMaker Pro 13 thru 17

The new version adds convert rich-text to HTML with CSS, support for Native iOS FM Go apps and Support for FileMaker Cloud.
      24U Toolbox Plug-In 3 can convert rich-text to HTML with CSS, producing much cleared and customizable results than GetAsCSS. By producing clean dynamic HTML content the websites will render faster and rank higher in search engines.

What's new in this version:
      - Get rich text as HTML to generate crystal clean HTML and CSS
      - Support for Native iOS FM Go apps
      - Support for FileMaker Cloud

About 24U Toolbox Plug-In:
      24U Toolbox Plug-In is a robust FileMaker Pro plug-in which allows your FileMaker Pro databases to:
      - Execute FileMaker or System shell scripts to automate tasks inside/outside of FileMaker Pro
      - Execute SQL commands to develop faster and keep your solution clean
      - Match & replace regular expressions to find & replace text fast using patterns
      - Merge data values into text while maintaining styling to apply templates quickly and easily
      - Lookup DNS name for IP & vice versa to find out who is connecting from where
      - Get current public IP to know more about clients and discover potential security attacks
      - Define global keyboard shortcuts to avoid unnecessarily excessive use of script triggers
      - Obtain precise microsecond timestamps to measure nearly unmeasurable chunks of time
      - Get the type of a FileMaker variable to let your scripts make the right decisions
      - Share variables between databases to avoid creating too many external data sources

Recommended configuration:
      Mac: Any Intel Mac, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced or newer.
      Windows: 1.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 or newer, FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced or newer.
      FileMaker Cloud: EC2 Instance type: t2.medium, FileMaker Cloud 17 or newer.

Minimum configuration:
      Mac: Any Intel Mac since 2008, 2048 MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, FileMaker Pro 13.
      Windows: 1 GHz processor, 2048 MB RAM, Windows 7, FileMaker Pro 13.
      FileMaker Cloud: EC2 Instance type: t2.small, FileMaker Cloud 16.

Availability and Pricing of  24U Toolbox Plug-In 3.0
      24U Toolbox Plug-In 3.0 is immediately available for download free of charge as a fully functional 14-days trial version, which can be activated after purchasing a license.
      Licenses for 24U SimpleHasp Plug-In start at US$49 per user, $499 per server. Volume discounts are available for 5 or more users.
      Existing customers can upgrade to the new version at 30 % off the regular prices. Until 13 November 2018 customers can upgrade at 50 % off the regular prices!

More information: https://www.24usoftware.com/Toolbox/
      Download: https://www.24uSoftware.com/Toolbox#download
      Buy: https://www.24uSoftware.com/Toolbox#buy

About 24U Software
      With a team of full-time testers, web, plug-in, Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android native app developers, and FileMaker certified developers, led by the FileMaker DevCon 2015 Developer Cup champion, 24U excels in taking care of existing FileMaker solutions, optimizing their performance, identifying and resolving potential issues and liabilities, improving reliability, stability and scalability, integrating them with other systems including various hardware devices, and extending them beyond expectation.

As a platinum member of the FileMaker Business Alliance, we help global businesses around the world to maintain sustainable growth by working with their in-house developers or completely taking care of the maintenance and development of their business solutions.

Customer contact:
      HOnza Koudelka
      Software Division Manager, 24U s.r.o.
      sales@24usoftware.com
      http://www.24usoftware.com

Press Contact:
      pr@24uSoftware.com

###

(c)2018 24U s.r.o. All rights reserved. 24U, 24U Software, and FM Bench are trademarks of 24U s.r.o. FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Pricing and availability are subject to change without notice.
    • By Richard Carlton
      Summer is over and our weekly FileMaker webinars are back! 

Our first one is this Thursday at 11am PDT, on “Relationships for Beginners”. 

Register Here: 
      https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6892433068111504642 

We will spend 30 minutes covering a specific topic. Then the last 30 minutes will be an open Q&A on any topic.

Topic List:
      Sept 13th: Relationships for Beginners
      Sept 20th: Find Records, Date Ranges, and Special Operators
      Sept 27th: Conditional Formatting (Can I making something Red?)
      Oct 4th: Automation (Repetitive Tasks can become Scripts)
      Oct 11th: Reporting & SubSummaries
      Oct 18th: Merge Fields and Hiding Objects (Harry Potter Invisibility Cloak)
      Oct 25th: Sharing your FileMaker App with Co-Workers
      Nov 1st: Basic Concepts for Building Mobile Apps

All the best, 
      Richard Carlton 
      CEO & Video Trainer
    • By 360Works
      The 360Works FTPeek plugin uploads, downloads, and manipulates remote files on an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server from within any FileMaker solution.
      FTPeek version 2.1 is now available with an added feature supporting uploads and downloads from Amazon S3!
      Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) runs on the AWS Cloud Infrastructure. It remains a highly-rated, industry-standard for data storage and retrieval, of any amount of data. As with most AWS services, S3 is versatile, reliable, and secure. It offers flexible storage management and administration capabilities, along with a simple interface that you can use to retrieve data from anywhere on the web.
      Getting started with Amazon S3 in the 360Works FTPeek plugin is easy. Using the function FTPeek_ConnectS3 will connect to your Amazon Web Services account when specifying the parameters for your AWS region and bucket, access key, and secret key. Once connected, you can then upload, download, and list files like any other FTP Server. Full reference documentation can be obtained at 360works.com/ftp-plugin
      Pricing for FTPeek starts at $195 for a 10-user workgroup license - less than $20 per user! Current version 2 license holders can upgrade to FTPeek 2.1 at no additional cost. Version 1 license holders can upgrade to version 2 at a nominal cost. For more on upgrade pricing or to download, please visit 360works.com/ftp-plugin
      More Reasons to Use the 360Works FTPeek plugin:

Security: public encryption key is included with support for FTP over SSL (FTPS) and FTP over SSH (SFTP) Universal Binary cross-platform support: Windows and Mac compatible Runs on your FileMaker Server: Automate nightly FTP batch transfers with scheduled scripts or embed FTP scripts into WebDirect or Custom Web Publishing Transfer directly to/from FileMaker fields: FTP documents and images directly from text and container fields to the FTP server Includes a built-in FTP user interface: Give users full FTP access to the server, a full-featured, 100% FileMaker FTP solution is included with the plugin  
      What Do Other FileMaker Developers Think?
      "I think you guys are filling a big gap with that single plugin. The fact that it supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS is key . We have replaced two plug-ins (one for FTP and one for SFTP) with a single plugin and can now offer FTPS as an alternative to our customers." - Matt Klein, Small Business Computers of New England, Inc.
      Free Demo or Download FTPeek 2.1 Stay updated with 360Works

• By davidsilverthornsoftware
      I'm seeing a "FileMaker Script Engine process has terminated abnormally" error when I attempt to register modules on Filemaker Cloud 1.17 using Scriptmaster 5.1 Unfortunately, the database stops responding when it encounters this error, forcing me to close the database. I noticed a similar issue on the forum related to Filemaker Server 17 that was fixed in 5.1. Could there still be an issue for Filemaker Cloud 1.17?
      EDIT: 5.09 works, as mentioned in my post below. I suggest that people use Scriptmaster 5.09 on Filemaker Cloud until this is fixed.
      EDIT 2: There is potential to corrupt data if we attempt to close the database when it is not responding after attempting to register a module with Scriptmaster 5.1. It takes a while before Filemaker will close the database, and it warned me of possible corruption when I re-opened it and attempted to register another module. In testing, I wasn't able to replicate the issue after I sent a disconnect request for the Client thread running the module registration step and turned off Script Engine plugins until I saw the thread had been disconnected. I was able to install 5.09 afterward and confirm that scriptmaster was working once installed.
  • Who Viewed the Topic

8 members have viewed this topic:
    normanicus  Jhon Doe  rlf  Akash Gupta  Tom R.  ash1474  dkey  theusualsuspect 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.