I have a solution running on a Filemaker 16 server. I have accessed the server via VPN on a remote Mac and now want to access the data via ODBC on that remote Mac.
I have turned ON ODBC/JDBC for ALL USERS in the Filemaker file
I have downloaded ODBC Manager – the free version
But when I try access the Filemaker "System DSN" in the ODBC Manager, nothing appears. This is a mystery to me as this exact (and rather simple) setup works perfectly on my local network.
I originally set up the local network some time ago, so:
• Have I missed a step?
• Does the ODBC not work across a VPN as opposed to local network where it works great?
• Does the ODBC manager I am using not work on iOS Sierra?
• Is there something else that I am missing?
Notes: Filemaker 16
Mac OS Sierra
ODBC Manager: 1.0.12
I have two computers with two identical installations of FM Advanced 16 that both have the same 360Works_Email.fmplugin in their respective Extensions folder. My iMac (OS = Sierra) works fine, but on my laptop, which was recently upgraded to High Sierra, I get the following message upon initiating a script that includes emailing two PDFs:
Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465
This error is as of November 11, 2017 after working for many years. I'm almost positive I sent emails while using High Sierra on the laptop.
After researching, I checked my Sign In & Security settings in Gmail and found that Insecure Apps is already enabled. I tried capturing some error with EmailLastError but no dialogue displayed.
Further troubleshooting, I went to upgrade the 360Works_Email.fmplugin to the latest version, the laptop (with High Sierrra) stopped showing me any error message at all, but still did not send the email. I got a prompt to install Java after I upgraded to High Sierra, could it be related to that? How do I check to see if that installation completed?
I have a FMS 15.03 running on Sierra. I recently upgraded the OS from 10.12 to 10.12.2. As soon as I did this Webdirect stopped functioning. The webdirect URL gives a "404 not found" error message. I have tried downgrading the system from Time Machine backups to 10.12.1 but to no avail. I have checked all the troubleshooting items that can be found here. There is nothing I can find that would impede webdirect's functionality. Would anyone have any idea what might be amiss? Or any ideas for getting Webdirect back up and running?
I am receiving the following error when attempting to load 360Works_Email plug-in.
"?" filed to initialize.
I have installed JAVA for OS X from:
Re-downloaded the plug-in from and re-installed it:
Restarted FMPro15 Advanced - and receive the same error: "?" filed to initialize.
This is also happening to the ScriptMaster Plug-In.
Grateful for any tips.
By Chris Dragon
Crestline, CA - 2empowerFM Developer Assistant v3.1 final release is out with fixes that include a partial work-around of an "uninitialied variable" bug in the plug-in API of FM 14 and later that can cause a random failure of DA's 'Evaluate' button.
All plug-ins have passed compatibility testing with OS X 10.12 Sierra. Hands-Free Printer needed updates to fix bugs with Sierra while all other plug-ins needed no changes.
Developer Assistant v3.1 is available immediately at developer.2empowerfm.com. This is a free update for licenses purchased May 16, 2014 and later.
Hands-Free Printer v3.63 is available immediately at print.2empowerfm.com. This is a free update for licenses purchased May 16, 2014 and later.
Full details of fixes and changes can be found in the release notes.
About 2empowerFM Plug-ins
Our 2empowerFM line of plug-ins save you time during FileMaker development and add powerful features to your FileMaker solutions. Our plug-ins include:
2empowerFM Developer Assistant
- Quickly search all scripts to find ones containing a string or pattern.
- Find table names, function and script step names, field metadata, and more, without generating a DDR.
- Replace text in script steps and in the multi-line text boxes of any dialog.
- Debug and develop faster by evaluating highlighted expressions immediately instead of copying, closing dialogs, and pasting into FileMaker's Data Viewer.
2empowerFM Hands-Free Printer
- Automate printing and control printer-specific settings.
- Save money by enforcing the use of double sided and toner saver modes.
- Prevent costly mistakes like printing all records instead of current record.
2empowerFM Menu Popper
- Pop-up multi-level menus anywhere on a FileMaker layout.
- Use unique dropdown menus to show type-ahead search results from multiple searches.
- Make menu items bold, italic, underlined, bulleted, or add separator lines between items.
2empowerFM Keyboard and Mouse
- Easily link hotkeys to scripts, create image-map buttons, and change the mouse cursor.
2empowerFM SQL Runner
- Insert and Update data in any FileMaker table without changing layouts or creating extra table relationships.
- Use an SQL query in a calculated field to generate dynamic pop-up lists.
- One of our FREE plug-ins!
2empowerFM Text Toolkit
- Perform powerful search and replace in database text using Perl-compatible regular-expressions.
- Generate a hash of data using many algorithms including SHA512, SHA256, and MD5.
- Another FREE plug-in!
2empowerFM Clipboard Explorer
- Save and restore objects on the clipboard including stylized text, FileMaker scripts, and layout objects.
- Also totally FREE!
Pricing and Availability
Plug-in updates are available immediately at 2empowerFM.com
Updates for paid plug-ins are free for those who purchased a license within the last year, or longer if intervening plug-in releases contain only minor new features or small fixes. Check the dates posted in the release notes to see if you qualify for a free upgrade on your particular plug-in license. All older licenses may be upgraded for 50% off the price of an equivalent new license.
All plug-ins can be tested for 30 days free of charge and demos are fully functional. Up to three demo extensions are available upon request.
Dracoventions is a FileMaker Business Alliance (FBA) member located in Crestline, CA, USA. Dracoventions is focused on inventing software that empowers you to save development time, expand FileMaker's abilities, and create a better user experience.
With over 25 years of software engineering experience, company-founder Chris Dragon was inspired by the business needs of a FileMaker-based non-profit to create the 2empowerFM Family of Plug-ins. These plug-ins include Developer Assistant, Hands-Free Printer, Menu Popper, SQL Runner, Text Toolkit, and more. Plug-ins are available at 2empowerFM.com