Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I need a miracle...

nonprofitfmp

This topic is 7991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello. I think I may have some kind of problem that is bigger than the database or Filemaker itself. (I will paste the details from my last post below.) Today I removed FMPv3 as administrator from the add/remove in windows 2000, reinstalled it, restarted the computer, installed FMPv5.5, opened a clone from a saved file from April that hasn't been used at all since then, entered one record and had the same spell check crash. It just closed the program without warning. Sometimes you can spell check a record or two, or a word or two before it closes. As long as you don't use spell check, everything else in the database seems to work fine. I think I will open one of the templates in 5.5 and see if it too has the same problem. (I just tried this and it didn't crash. Now I am really confused since files that had not been opened since before the crash are being damaged. arrrrgggggg!) Other than that, I am at my wits end with this. How can I tell if there is a network or OS conflict or problem? Does that even make sense? Any bright ideas out there? Thanks for your help!

Here is a copy of my last post to the older version board:

I would love some help troubleshooting a frustrating problem. I am finishing a FMP v3 database in a PC environment. The file resides on the network server but is usually hosted by another machine since I am still making the final tweeks. (Occationally one other PC will be using it at the same time.) We just purchased Server 5.5 & 25 licenses but I want to fully debug the database before throwing in a new set of variables.

We have had two recent power problems in the office that have resulted in damage to the database. Both times, everything seems to work fine until you use spell check and then it will close the program when clicking DONE or SKIP. Sometimes you can open the file again but most times it is damaged and must be recovered. The first time I was able to fix it by removing and reinstalling Filemaker Pro and using a good backup. This time however, that is not working. The restored backup still has the problem after rebooting the server, reinstalling Filemaker and restoring a good back up file. HELP! What can I do to save this project? I worked on it all day and it works fine as long as I do not use spell check but obviously I want to be able to use this feature.

This topic is 7991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.