Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to require a registration code

This topic is 7937 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm developing an application in FileMaker Pro. How can I design it so the user is required to enter a registration code they receive from me before it works? Also, since they need to renew their registraion every year, the code will need to expire in one year.

This protection can be as simple as a message that shows on the screen if the registration code is missing or invalid.

Any idea how to place this in a FileMaker application?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi there,

i have developed a solution that incorporates a registration code. In the start script, include a check to see if there is a match between the username and a code that is generated by some or all letters in the username. This way each user will require a unique code. Make the algorhythm unpredicatable by using a variety of techniques (such as case(left(username,2)="b",5) + .... You can get the numbers to add, divide or multiply by other factors such as the length of the 2nd word, oruse patterncount to look for the case of certain letters. Also use alpha results so that you end up with a combined code such as ACX4348. You could also build in the year into the calculation so that it would be a different code for each year. n

You need to build this code generator into your solution as well as have it as a stand alone program so that you know what code to give your customer after you type their name into the username field.

Once the test is passed by a matched username and rego code, you can control whether your solution goes into a demo mode (messages on printouts etc) or exit the application.

ENJOY

mOxNaT3

• 2 weeks later...

Using the username is a great idea. But in a runtime solution on windows it frequently does not work, with the username coming up as empty. Try a free plugin called crypto toolbox. This will give you the hard drive serial number. Then base your registration code on a mixed up version of the harddrive serial #. This plugin is not available for OSX, so for that platform, you will have to use the username.

This topic is 7937 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.