Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scripting to add External Data Source

This topic is 1639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a sales team and we are using FM to track our clients and sales.  We have a server version that is hosting our solution.  Each sales person has their own data file (ie. separate databases).  We went down this path so that we can more easily manage the division of common and sensitive data.

I am creating a 'Dashboard' where an admin user can view data from each database.  I can do this manually by creating multiple External Data Source entries and adding the relevant tables in the Relationships screen under Manage Databases.  Then I can add the fields I need into the various layouts.

I am looking for a method to script the process of adding a new database to the Dashboard.  What I would like to do is add a new database to the FMS data folder, then 'choose' it from the Dashboard file.  The script would then add the database to the External Data Source list and add it in the Relationships Graph.  I would also need to script the addition of the new data source in my layouts.

I hope I am explaining this properly.  I am hoping for some guidance if this can be done and how to get started.

Thanks.

This topic is 1639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.