Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't select words in a text field using double-click (left button)

Rich S

This topic is 904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

(I apologize if this post is posted in the wrong forum, so please move as necessary.)

This is a recent development: I'm unable to select a word (or words) in text fields (and text blocks) using left-mouse-button-double-click. It has worked before just fine, but when I double-click now...nada.

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Monterrey twice; it bricked the first time. (Kernel panic.) After I reinstalled everything, that's when the mouse-click problem arose. I launched MS-Word, Pages, and TextEdit to see if the problem is systemic, but it's not--it's a problem only in FileMaker Pro. I deleted FMP and its ancillary files from the Library and reinstalled it. Same problem. I tried another mouse--same problem.

On edit: I just noticed another problem: keystroke commands aren't working, either, e.g., [Command + A]--which selects all text--doesn't; there's no indication that the keystroke has been used/entered.

Any constructive suggestions as to what I should try next will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Edited by WF7A
Added comment

From the "This Really Doesn't Make Sense" Department...

I was able to restore proper mouse click function by going into the Apple OS's (v.12.0.1) Preferences > General applet and changing Appearance from Dark to Light; when I changed it back to Dark, the mouse cursor problem reappeared; changed it to Light again, the problem went away.

What really doesn't make sense is that prior to upgrading to Monterey, I had no mouse problems at all while in Dark mode, so... : P

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see if anybody else can reproduce the problem before I send a Bug report to Claris.

• Newbies
14 hours ago, WF7A said:

(I apologize if this post is posted in the wrong forum, so please move as necessary.)

This is a recent development: I'm unable to select a word (or words) in text fields (and text blocks) using left-mouse-button-double-click. It has worked before just fine, but when I double-click now...nada.

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Monterrey twice; it bricked the first time. (Kernel panic.) After I reinstalled everything, that's when the mouse-click problem arose. I launched MS-Word, Pages, and TextEdit to see if the problem is systemic, but it's not--it's a problem only in FileMaker Pro. I deleted FMP and its ancillary files from the Library and reinstalled it. Same problem. I tried another mouse--same problem.

On edit: I just noticed another problem: keystroke commands aren't working, either, e.g., [Command + A]--which selects all text--doesn't; there's no indication that the keystroke has been used/entered.

Any constructive suggestions as to what I should try next will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I could not reproduce this.  I changed the desktop to dark and I could double click the work to select it and command a correctly selected all text inside my filemaker text field. 

• Thanks 1

This topic is 904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.