Server Maintenance This Week. ×

how to format layouts for printing

blissland

I run a school and keep track of almost everything related to the school in a FM database that I developed.   The one thing that I don't use the database for is making transcripts.  For this I have been using MS Word, making one file for each student.  But I would prefer to have the database do it.  

To do this, I take the transcript template in word, save as PDF, and then insert it as the background on a layout.  The functionality of this works fine except that I cannot figure out what the strategy is for creating the layout so that it prints as a pdf or just prints to paper in a way that works.  If I don't set the sizing just right, a one page document becomes a funky two-page doc.  I can reduce the size of the layout and/or the inserted pdf background in order to ensure that it stays on one 8.5x11 page, but what is the strategy for doing this precisely?  I've adjusted the print margins in Layout Setup but I still run into problems.  If I set all margins to 0, I still end up with a margin of .25 on the top and left, which isn't acceptable.  If I specify .25 margin on all 4 sides, this will result in .25 in all sides (not .5 on top and bottom), and that's ok but it technically requires a reduction of the image that I inserted into the background.  I would prefer that I not have to do that and find a way for it to work right with 0 margins.  

Edited by blissland