Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Can I make fields appear by a button?

LLCadyJ

This topic is 8009 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I saw a db demo that had a button that made fields appear. I forget where I downloaded it from and I didn't save it. I believe it was done with a portal. Has anyone seen this db, I believe it was on this site or one of the other major Filemaker sites?

Thanks

LL

You'll likely find the file you're looking for on John Mark Osbourne's Database Pros web site at:

www.databasepros.com

He has produced several files over recent years which loosely fit your description, including one which is in a recent batch of demos from his presentation at the recent developer conference in Colorado.

In short, the button sets or clears a field which makes (then alternately breaks) the relationship that the portal is based on. When the relationship breaks, the field seemingly 'vanishes' and becomes inaccessible.

Yep, there's an example file called Visible at Database Pros that uses portals to do the job.

Depending on what data your playing with (and how fast your computer is at refreshing the screen), it might be easier to just use a separate layout, one with the button but no field, and one with the field. Then just switch layouts when the button is pressed. smile.gif

This topic is 8009 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.