Graphing, How to make fields invisible.

This topic is 7928 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Again,

I have been using Brian Dunning's method to create a bar graph in an DB that I'm working on. The bars are basically a specific number of underscores contained in a calculated field with the line spacing set to 1pix. The calculated field retrieves the underscores from a text field "LotsaUnderscores". I placed that field on a layout, switched to browse mode, entered several hundred underscores, switched back to layout mode and yanked the field out of the layout.

When I did that, I thought the underscores that I had entered would be stored somewhere (and they did...for a while), but I seem to lose them when I quit out of the applicaion, and then my bars have nothing to draw with. How can I keep that underscore text field from being seen. I tried placing it underneath a graphic object, but when you click in that area in Browse mode, it shows up.

Thanks,

Paul

confused.gif

Hi,

Whether or not the contents of the field are saved when you close the application down has nothing to do with whether the field is on a layout or not.

If you are using a global field, and you are accessing the database from a 'client computer/workstation' (ie over a network) rather than from the 'host' computer, that would explain your problem. Only global field values entered on the host computer are saved when the application is shut down.

It is certainly possible to make a field 'invisible' (by turning off the 'allow entry into field' option in the Field Format dialog, applying transparent line and fill attributes and a text color to match the background color) but this should not be necessary in the instance you are describing.

Okay, ::blushing:: I wasn't using a global field, and so the graph screen (which is actually part of each record but represents global results) wasn't working properly.

Nevertheless, how do you get it so that when in Browse mode, you can't reveal the dimensions of the fields when they are clicked on? It's not a huge deal, but one of those things that bugs me.

Paul

"...how do you get it so that when in Browse mode, you can't reveal the dimensions of the fields when they are clicked on?"

Did you read our responses above?

This topic is 7928 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.