Extra blank page between each page

kennedy

This topic is 7922 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

All of my form layouts print with an extra blank page after each page... blank meaning the body is blank, but the header and footer are printed. So, if I have 50 records in the Found set, I print 100 pages.

I sent it to Ray to pay him to look into the problem... but it didn't do it for him. Arrgh.

Has anyone seen a similar problem? Any suggestions on what to look at?

My platform: FMP 5.5 on Mac OS X 10.1.5 on G4 Tower printing to Lexmark X83 or old PS laser printer.

>extra blank page

When the normal things do not help, you could always try to copy and paste the fields on your print lay-out to another lay-out to give it another try. In rare cases, lay-outs can be corrupted, so starting off with a fresh lay-out may sometimes help.

For the 'normal things':

Sounds like the body part is just a bit too big to fit on a page, even if it looks okay in layout mode (and sometimes even in preview mode). Try shrinking the body part and see what happens. However, I've heard of a number of problems with OSX printing, so that may not help. Have you installed 10.2 yet? That is supposed to fix a lot of printing problems.

Thanks for the suggestions, Harry and Bob.

FWIW, the problem ended up being that my layout was one pixel too big. I sized it exactly the size of the print area... it needs to be one pixel less.

IMO, from precisely placing objects on layout parts, I believe FMP has a fence-post bug in the way they deal with the sizes of layout parts and which layout part an object is in. In math lingo, the top should always be inclusive and the bottom exclusive. But they made them both inclusive and then gave priority to one over the other when there's overlap, which there always is. That's a confused way of doing it.

HOWEVER, at this point they can't really fix it... to do so would mess up millions of layouts the world over. But a least now I think I have it figured out.

Dunno about that... the "border" belongs to the top layout part. No confusion.

For instance, a line drawn on the border between the header and body part is in the header so it only printes on the first record in list view.

A clever corollary of this is that if you place, say, a rectangle so only its top pixel is on the border (with the rest hanging below) it's still in the header so it only prints once on the page, and it will cover up the records below it.

This topic is 7922 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.