Server Maintenance This Week. ×

whats wrong with specify host

the walker

This topic is 7827 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I guess a lot of it comes down to the bandwidth issues and the limitations therein.

With Citrix, you work on the remote machine ( as opposed to using any FileMaker software on your machine).

All that is sent down the line is the screenshot. This makes for a very quick connection.

I have used Citrix to remotely deploy an entire company wide solution for 50 users and over 30 databases, including importing 100's of thousands of records remotely.

I could start the import process, then close my connection to the remote machine. My session was still running on that machine, so I could go back periodically to see how it was doing.

Havent used Timbuktu, but am sure someone out here has.

Bandwidth issues is a good point. Also, in terms of "remote administration," some users need to do more than just administer the FileMaker application - "specify hosts" only gets you in FileMaker - for example, on a Windows box you might want to also see how much resources FileMaker is using, check free disk space, etc. so you would need additional software for remote administration.

This topic is 7827 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.