Veritical Scroll in Portal ?

Anh_Tran

This topic is 7912 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear All,

I would like to know If I have a portal and set it to 4 rows. If I have 6 rows, I would like it appears 6 rows on the screen without using vertical scroll. Since with vertical scroll i can only print 4 rows at top only? ...Another question : how could we go to the last row of portal to print?

ANy idea people?

Thanks

You shouldn't really be printing portals. It's best to print from the related file where you have much more control over the appearance of the report. However, if you must print the portal, you can create a special print layout with a 100 line portal and just set it to shrink and reduce size of enclosing part. Then, any unused lines will not be printed.

Or you could make 100 layouts, the first with 1 portal row, the second with two etc and use a script with 99 conditional If statements to decide which to use.

As Bob suggests, print from the related file. Everything is much easier.

In the master file, use the "Go to Related Record [show, relationship]" script step to find all of the related records that match the current master record.

In the related file create the layout that you want to print from. The body part replaces the portal. Information from the master record can be brought in with a relationship.

BTW there is an alternative to the portal in the master file: use a calculated field based on the related value list.

• Newbies

Maybe this is ok if it's only portal contents that need to be printed, but if you need to print the group of records from the main file but include the list of related items, then it's not so good.

You might do this once for every record and then get each record on a different page, but that is not a very good solution.

The problem with portals is that sliding/printing does not work *within* them. Sue the portal slides, but if you need to make each portal row big to fit the largest text, there is no way to make each portal row shrink.

I've also found that stuff often prints funny in portals. One client had some fancy embossed and engraved field formating within a portal. On screen it looked great when previewed but when printed the embossed and engraved coloured areas bore little correlation to the layout. Removing the formatting fixed it.

if you need to print the group of records from the main file but include the list of related items, then it's not so good.

When you need information from the main file, you simply create a reverse relationship back to it and include any data you want on child file report. This is commonly done when printing invoices from the line items file. A relationship back to the parent allows you to print the Invoice number, customer name and address, special shipping instructions etc, in a header or sub-summary part. Again, you have much more versatility in the child file for doing these sub-summaries.

This topic is 7912 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.