Calculation field in a sub-summary

This topic is 7907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all of you super smart people.... I have an interesting question....

I have a report that is sorted by month. There are 2 totals in the sub-summary section, total cost and total invoiced for each month. I need to get a profit margin (invoice summary/cost summary) for each month and a separate profit margin for the grand total (trailing grand summary) for all the months. When I create a field (margin summary) and place it inthe sub-summary part, I get the grand total margin not the margin summary for the each month. How can I get the margin summary to "summarize" only the sub-summary total and not the grand total?

Hi stac_1,

At present you are trying to perform a calculation on the summary fields. From your explanation, I am guessing that your calculation formulae are addressing the summary fields directly, whereas you want to address the sub-summary values. This can be done using the GetSummary (summary field, break field) function.

However in this case, a viable alternative may be to simply create a calculation with the formula amount invoiced / cost for each record, and then create a third summary field which is defined as the weighted average of this calc, and which can be included in the sub-summaries on your layout.

Thanks a billion..... the "GetSummary" solution worked like a charm! I know the answers are there, I just need someone to point them out to me (that is why this forum is so valuable). Filemaker is limitless! ;-)

thanks again!

S.

This topic is 7907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.