Importing data and keeping the modifications?

This topic is 8328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The problem I'm having is when I import information, I lose all the information that I entered/modified. Is there a way to keep information that I enter while also importing new data to update the file? I have 8 fields I need to import and update as the file is always changing, and 1 fields I need to enter new data into, not connected to the master file. When I want to update I import the new data but lose the data I entered. ex-(entering notes for a specific record after importing). I use basic scripting to display specific records, if that causes a problem. But otherwise I just import, enter notes, update, and then the information is gone. Does FMpro5.5 have to capabilities to do this? Thanks...

If I understand what you are saying I just had the same situation and this is how I solved it. If your problem is that you have data in a field and then when you run the import the imported data overwrites your data that was in the field. We will call your field Field A

Set up 2 new fields Field B Field C

When you run your script to Import. Add a step that will replace Field B with the contents of field A, import your imported data into field C, replace Field A with Field B & Field A

>>Enter Browse mode

>>Show ALL Records

>>Replace Field B with Field A

>>Import Records (into field C)

>>Replace Field A with Field B & Field C

This topic is 8328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.