Server Maintenance This Week. ×

exporting field names

This topic is 8181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok, I must be missing something here.

I want to export my database as a tab-separated text file with field names included. So that I can import it into another non-filemaker document as I do with Access databases.

Is this impossible in Filemaker?

Thankyou for reading and eventually answering my question.

If you want to export the field names, you have to export in merge format. This is a comma delimited format that includes a first record of field names. If you must have tab delimited, you can add a record to your file before you export it, that has the field names. Sort it in such a way that this field name record will be the first in the found set, export it, and then delete this record from the database when you are finished.

quote:

Originally posted by michele:

Ok, I must be missing something here.

I want to export my database as a tab-separated text file with field names included. So that I can import it into another non-filemaker document as I do with Access databases.

Is this impossible in Filemaker?

Thankyou for reading and eventually answering my question.

If you are on AMc OS, you can also accomplish this process by use of an AppleScript applet to call out all the fields with their various data in a complex array.

That array can then be set into a document such sa MS Word or AppleWorks/ClarisWorks, or any pther scriptable text editor.

HTH

Olad Advance Man

This topic is 8181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.