Hi-Lighting Bar Graph and Keyboardless Entry

This topic is 7653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This file is a cut down version of a system used for allowing riders and spectators at a race (the Australian 24 Hour Mountain Bike Race in this case) to use computers around the race site to get direct access to their results. With over 3000 riders and spectators and over 6,400 laps - printing results was a never-ending task, so we went this way, using computers and data projectors.

This sample presents 2 techniques.

Hilighted Histogram. This allows riders to see how their own lap times compare with the rest of the field. They can see an on-screen histogram of lap times, in which their lap time is hilighted and their name appears in the header.

Keyboardless Entry. We didn't want to let users have a keyboard (this also lends itself to touch-screens) so an on-screen keyboard was produced which used a modification of the standard "clairvoyance" feature to allow users to find a rider by name very quickly - usually they can find a rider within 3 mouse clicks.

Have fun with it...

I have modified the attachment slightly so that the histogram displays better on PCs (it was made on a Mac). If you want your histogram with a conventional horizontal "x" axis instead of a waterfall display, see my thread a couple down in this topic.

HiLite Bar Demo2.fp5.zip

OK - Enough already !

This attachment is for all those who got cricks in their necks from looking at a "waterfall" style histogram and want a standard "horizontal" style histogram. For those who are interested, this is done by copying page 1 of the original waterfall style histogram in preview mode and then pasting it into a 270 degree rotated container field in another layout in browse mode.

This works fine on Macs but has not been tested on a PC yet and I won't be able to do that for a few days - but in the interests of stable necks, I thought I'd get it posted quickly.

HiLite Bar Demo hh.fp5.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.