Importing From a word document

theo

This topic is 8477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using fm5 to allocate customers to dealers, and to send out promotional letters to both parties.

A prospective customer asks for info about a product, and depending on the state/county where they live (ie their address field), they are allocated a local company representative. Both are sent generic letters created automatically by the program (which I do not know at all!)

Until now, the customer and rep have both recieved generic letters, however, (and here is the problem)as of now an individual product must now result in a specific letter being sent out. This letter is currently stored in msword, and I must import it into fm5, and flag it to the product.

Put simply - how can I alter or create a link between an existing item and a newly created letter type, and how can I get this letter from word into filemaker? I am useless and clueless about this so if anybody can help explain whats going on and step by step of how to sort this - please do.

Cheers.

You don't say how many products/letters there are? Depending on this would it not be easier to set up the letters in FM5 in different layouts or, probably better, in different related files. Simply cut and paste the letters into the layouts and add any merge fields. This is what I do and that avoids using any other application. Using related files can make it easier to change individual letters since you don't have to alter the main database file.

You don't say how many products/letters there are? Depending on this would it not be easier to set up the letters in FM5 in different layouts or, probably better, in different related files. Simply cut and paste the letters into the layouts and add any merge fields. This is what I do and that avoids using any other application. Using related files can make it easier to change individual letters since you don't have to alter the main database file.

• Newbies

There's just one single product type which needs to generate this new letter.All the other products in the DB stick with the generic letter templates.

Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by theo (edited January 11, 2001).]

• Newbies

I think I understand what youre saying - but, and I hate to be slow, what do I have to do to add these merge fields - and which are the merge fields to be added? Are you talking about the relationship between

DEALER=COUNTY=CUSTOMER

? - 'sigh' the problems of taking over from someone else.....and, 'sigh' the problems of being a bit thick....

This topic is 8477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.