HCFA 1500 Importing

This topic is 8477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I hope I understand what you mean?

You could use some of the text functions like Length(), left(), right() and create an automatic calculation which would split your data into your defined fields.

i.e xx abcde xyz

field 1 = xx

field 2 = abcde

field 3 =xyz

Katy,

If the format of your data is consistent, you can import the data. As long as you know what to expect, you can parse the data into any way shape or form you want. Create a file with the intention that that file will be an import adapter to parse and standardize your data. Once the data is standardized, you can directly import it into your database. For disparate data sources, you may need to build different import adapters. Good luck...

Fishma

• Newbies

Hello,

I am thinking of buying FMP5 as I see it is very versatile. I just need to be sure I can create a specific feature.

I need to be able to create a map and import a HCFA 1500 ASCii text file. I know lots of medical developers use FMP5, so i am hoping to find an answer here. The only method I can see of importing is via a csv file. I need to be able to take any type of format and map field to field specifying the lengths ont he field to be imported. When I look at the import feature in the demo, I am not allowed to view the entire file and choose what data goes where. For instance, the data may read X 4454 545. I would need for the X to be a field and the 4454 545 to be a sceond field.

Will I be able to create such a mapping process for importing? I work for a large clinic and need to import this info from other offices around the state.

Thank you in advance!!!!!! I hope this is workable.

Katy

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by fishma:

Katy,

If the format of your data is consistent, you can import the data. As long as you know what to expect, you can parse the data into any way shape or form you want. Create a file with the intention that that file will be an import adapter to parse and standardize your data. Once the data is standardized, you can directly import it into your database. For disparate data sources, you may need to build different import adapters. Good luck...

Fishma

Hey Thank you! I am playing with the demo and am not sure how to go about creating the import adapter. I will need to see the data in my file to be able to decide (map)what goes into each field, right?

Would you very briefly tell me the direction to head into with this? When I click the Import command under file, I get a mapping screen of sorts, but am not sure how I am supposed to map info into individual fields I have set up if I cannot manipulate the actual data I am needing to import. I sort of just need a drop kick into the right direction and then I can feel good about going forward with my FMP purchase.

Thank you Again!! This is an awesome forum and I know it will be a priceless asset!

Katy

This topic is 8477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.