Importing records

This topic is 8532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In my windows program, after upgrading and installing my revised solutions program, I want to import the data from the old file into the new file. I go to import records, select the old file, click open, but then nothing happens. I Changed the name of the old file, but it still would not open. I placed the old file on a different drive than the new file, but still I could not open the old file to import those records. There must be a simple solution to this windows problem. Any suggestions?

Make sure that the old file has all of the records in the database in the found set. It's possible that the database was closed with zero records in the found set, in which case, zero records would be imported.

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by Chuck:

Make sure that the old file has all of the records in the database in the found set. It's possible that the database was closed with zero records in the found set, in which case, zero records would be imported.

Chuck

The problem is that import dialogue box will not even open up for me to initiate the import process.

Does the solution have a password that prevents importing records? It sounds like it does.

If the File menu has the command "Change Password" then the db has a default password set up that limits your access. You'll have to contact the developer and request the password to do the import.

If the File menu has an "Access Privileges" command then there is no restricting passowrd set, the problem lies elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited December 14, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Does the solution have a password that prevents importing records? It sounds like it does.

If the File menu has the command "Change Password" then the db has a default password set up that limits your access. You'll have to contact the developer and request the password to do the import.

If the File menu has an "Access Privileges" command then there is no restricting passowrd set, the problem lies elsewhere.

Yes the old file does require a password, which is my orginal, but the old database won't bring me to the point of entering it. Actually, the old and new database have the same password. If I changed one, would that make a difference?

Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

I just tried the import with two files and it worked. The difference was, and I think the problem was, that this time I selected "fileType" as Runtime rather than all files. I'll try it in the workplace and see if I get the same response. Thanks for your help.

Bob

This topic is 8532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.