importing records into repeating fields

This topic is 8680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all... I a newbie so be kind <g>. I am working with an existing FM database that holds a list of open jobs with the persons that have applied for the position. Each job record contains a repeating field of the applicants to that position. I receive an Excel file from our IS department with the applicant and job applied for as separate records. Is there a way to import these separate records into a repeating field?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi

I would avoid using the repeating fields and set up related files... one to hold the applicants and another to hold the jobs they applied for. The repeating fields will at some stage cause you more trouble than they are worth... the trouble you are having now is just the beginning.

So read up on relationships, portals and relational database design and get ready to belt your head against a wall for a while (it will be a softer wall with FMP than with Access or other db products)... or get someone to help recreate your system as a relational db... then importing and using the system will be a breeze.

Sorry not to provide direct help to solve your initial problem... but in the long term related is the way to go.

quote:

Originally posted by krneely:

Hi all... I a newbie so be kind <g>. I am working with an existing FM database that holds a list of open jobs with the persons that have applied for the position. Each job record contains a repeating field of the applicants to that position. I receive an Excel file from our IS department with the applicant and job applied for as separate records. Is there a way to import these separate records into a repeating field?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

------------------

Andrew McCallum

McCALLUM CONSULTING P/L

Sydney, Australia

61 2 9585 8775

61 407 482 609

[email protected]

• Newbies

Hi Andy....Thanks for the response! I thought I might have to redesign the existing db....guess I had better get to it!!

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by amccallum:

Hi

I would avoid using the repeating fields and set up related files... one to hold the applicants and another to hold the jobs they applied for. The repeating fields will at some stage cause you more trouble than they are worth... the trouble you are having now is just the beginning.

So read up on relationships, portals and relational database design and get ready to belt your head against a wall for a while (it will be a softer wall with FMP than with Access or other db products)... or get someone to help recreate your system as a relational db... then importing and using the system will be a breeze.

Sorry not to provide direct help to solve your initial problem... but in the long term related is the way to go.

Goodluck Ken... hope it all works out ok.

quote:

Originally posted by krneely:

Hi Andy....Thanks for the response! I thought I might have to redesign the existing db....guess I had better get to it!!

Ken

------------------

Andrew McCallum

McCALLUM CONSULTING P/L

Sydney, Australia

61 2 9585 8775

61 407 482 609

[email protected]

This topic is 8680 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.