dual data base files

This topic is 8683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have two files, File A, File B. Both files are the same. When I add a record to File A I want to automatically, or run a script, to add the same record to File B so files A & B stay the same. Any ideas?:

Thank You

amador

Are you using FMP5 ?

If so you could perform a match based import from A to B whenever a record is added.

This will update any changes to other existing records and append any new records. The import could be triggered by a script.. ie click a button or you could look at a script trigger plugin.. or you could sneakily trigger the script when the user clicked on the add new record button... but the script would have to wait for the record to be completed before performing the export/import.

Hope this helps..

Andrew

quote:

Originally posted by amador:

We have two files, File A, File B. Both files are the same. When I add a record to File A I want to automatically, or run a script, to add the same record to File B so files A & B stay the same. Any ideas?:

Thank You

------------------

There are two approaches of which I am aware for creating a new record in B which is identical to A. Both involve a script.

The first is already mentioned, i.e, a script to create a new record by import.

The second is to write a script:

In A:

Enter Browse Mode

Copy [select, Unique Identifier]

Perform Script [External...

the in B:

Enter Browse Mode

New Record/Request

Paste [select, Unique Identifier]

Go to Next Field

All the other fields in B are auto-lookup in relation to the Unique Identifier (such as record number,invoice number, docket number, etc)

And of course, either script should include safeguards against duplications. And the script should be made to finish in A or B as desired or needed for your purposes.

Peace

Keith M. Davie (FMP 4.0v3 user)

This topic is 8683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.