Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Satellite Latency Problems

hjenkins

This topic is 7589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a FM Server on a 1meg SDSL LAN to which remote users on standard DSL connections happily use.

One of my remote users recently moved to North Wales where standard DSL is not accessible so I set up a satellite DSL service believing that this would be the solution for him to connect to the server via IP. I did this as I knew nothing about latency issues which now prove to be a major problem as the database takes 10 times longer to open than it did over ISDN.

Does anybody know of an affordable solution to this? I have spoken to a couple of companies who are developing software which improves the latency issues on a Mac by reducing the TCP/IP header compression but they are very expensive.

Can anybody help?

• Newbies

The only solution is caching. I had the same problem with a customer out in the farmlands in Wisconsin for multiple email accounts, and the only way I got around it was to put in an email server to cache the traffic (with semi-insane wait times). You will have to figure out if replicating the FMP database is workable in your situation.

Huw, does your remote user have the satellite modem connected directly to the Mac? When I checked last year, no one offered Satellite internet on a Mac.

I have a client that has his LAN routed through a PC that is on DirecPC satellite. At first, it was slower than their old 56k dial-up router. We managed to locate some caching software that solved the problem. Have a look at this topic:

http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=43538&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=1

The software we found was from http://www.orbitsat.com/

It is PC software, not Mac. But, if the system is set up using a PC as the router, then this software should help.

This topic is 7589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.