Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Web Serving Connection

cmury

This topic is 7589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

All,

I've posted this query here as I think it has more to do with my internet configuration rather than serving fm. Anyway here goes...

I've recently 'invested' in an ADSL connection. The new modem [speedTouch 350] works perfectly for browsing/email and is assigned a dynamic IP by my ISP. The modem serves an ethernet network. I'm running OSX.

Now I need to serve my FM dbs to the web. I know the dynamic ip will mean that I don't have a static site, but I can get around this by using the re-direction technique provided by no-ip.com as suggested in a previous post.

The problem seems to be in directing incoming web connections to the web server rather than the modem. Eg the modem has IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and the server has static IP 10.0.0.1. When I browse to the modem IP I get the modem config site - not the 10.0.0.1 site.

I'm sure this a generic issue that has been covered before - but as a newby this is new ground. Any assistance would be great.

Thanks

C

Hi,

You will need to set up your server in the config site of your Speedtouch.

You need to use NAT - Network Address Translation, I'm pretty sure this will be available on the Speedtouch 350, I know for definite it is on the 510.

This will direct all traffic coming in on your Speedtouch to the FM Web Server.

Have a look at the help/documentation of your Speedtouch, this should explain how to set up NAT.

Ed

Thanks Ed. The advice is really appreciated.

I've had a look at the config site and there seems to be 2 options - either the default user defined server re-direct or a custom config requiring Incoming and Outgoing IPs and Ports.

The default option doesn't seem to work. In fact when I enter the modem ip [expecting to be redirected to my web server] I got nothing, just the standard search error in IE.

I'm not sure on the custom config. The help guide doesn't really explain it well. I'm guessing the Incoming IP should be my web server [10.0.0.1] on Port 80 and the Outgoing should be the default [0.0.0.0] on Port 80.

What do you think? Does it sound similar to the 510? My modem is the 530 - sorry about the typo.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

C

PS - got to luv becks ;-)

Hi,

The user defined server re-direct should work fine. I think what you may be doing is entering the modem IP in here. You need to enter your internal IP address: 10.0.0.1

If you enter your modem IP you would get stuck in a loop and that's why you get the error in IE. What the server redirect does, is directs the traffic to your internal IP address when someone enters your modems external IP address into a browser.

Try entering the internal IP address in the server redirect field in the modem configuration and see what this does. If it doesn't work I'll go through the custom configuration with you.

One final point, I found that whenever I made changes on the Speedtouch 510, first I had to save my changes, then I had to go into the internet connection settings, stop the connection and restart it before the server redirect would work.

Give it a try and let me know.

Hope this helps.

Ed.

Ed

Thanks for your help again. Much appreciated.

Anyway - I've finally got the modem to re-direct. It was a lot easier than I thought. The trick is the modem will not re-direct on my local network. You have to be external - literally coming into the modem.

As you probably found with the 510, the 530 is easy to configure. Under the NAT settings there is a default server option. Just enter the IP of the web server and there you have it!! Alternatively you can customise one or many redirections using the method described above - keeping in mind you can only have 1 server on Port 80. Cool!!

Anyway thanks again for your help.

C

Sorry forgot to mention the point about not redirecting on the local network!

The reason is, you are going out of the building on an IP address, and that is trying to find the same IP address in the outside world, the modem is trying to see itself in a way and this is not possible.

Glad you got sorted.

Ed.

This topic is 7589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.