Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problems after installing 2nd Network Card

Derek Molhuysen

This topic is 7547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Our situation:

We have a server (running Windows 2000 Server) with a copy of FileMaker 6.04. We use this to open 6 related database files, in multi-user mode. We also have Web access enabled.

Most of our users use Web access to view (but not update) the records.

The main user (me) has Filemaker 6.04 installed on a seperate PC (running Windows XP) and opens the database files, and updates the records.

Our Problem:

We have had to install a second network card into our server, along with OpenVPN software to get a Virtual Private Network to our email server (external Exchange Server).

Since installing the OpenVPN software, I cannot access the database files from my PC. I get the error message '"anf members " is currently in use and could not be opened. The file is single-use, or the host cannot be found on the network.' The other users can still access the files via Web Browser.

I think that FileMaker has either been confused, or has now locked onto the new network.

Can anybody suggest a way to make FileMaker look in the correct place or to disregard the new network/software installed on the server.

• Newbies

Thanks shimoda,

I'm fairly good at databases, but the networking intricices are a little beyond me.

I notice that you refer to FileMaker Server - I assume you mean the software of that name, not the server computer with Filemaker Pro 6.04 installed on it - does that make a difference.

It may only be the 'geek speak' but it doesn't sound as if Filemaker is BOUND to the NIC - it seems that FileMaker will only look at the 'lowest' NIC - it previously only had 1 NIC, and worked quite happily - if it had been BOUND to that card, then the installation of the 2nd card would not have made any difference.

Derek

• Newbies

Have now fixed the problem...

It seems that you need to have the network connections in a particular order. Have documented steps to correct for aanybody else who runs across the same problem.

These instructions are for Windows 2000 Server, but probably will be similar on other machines:

1) Right click 'My Network Places', and select 'Properties'

2) Without selecting any of the listed connections, click on the 'Advanced' and then 'Advanced Settings'

3) In the connections box, adjust the order of the listed connections (select one of the connections, and use the up and down arrows on the right hand side)

On our system, we had two connections - 'Local Area Connection' (the original) and 'my-tap' (the new connection), and I needed to make sure that the original was the first connection in the list.

I hope that this may help solve other user's problems

This topic is 7547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.