Refer to field by variable in SetField script?

This topic is 8578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

what you are trying to do exsposes some of the weaknesses of fmp. Plug-Ins are the only thing that will currently allow you proceed. go to filemaker.com or fmfiles.com and browse their Plug-Ins section for the descriptions of those available.

Forget my other postings. I have succesfully captured the field name, and portal row or repeating field num before calling my calendar file. Now the real problem. After copying my date to the clipboard, how do I reference the field for which I have already caputured the variables that describe it. Go to field and SetField refer to explicit fields and do not allow you to use variables.

quote:

Originally posted by signal:

Forget my other postings. I have succesfully captured the field name, and portal row or repeating field num before calling my calendar file. Now the real problem. After copying my date to the clipboard, how do I reference the field for which I have already caputured the variables that describe it. Go to field and SetField refer to explicit fields and do not allow you to use variables.

This is also something that can be solved with AppleScript. Basically, AppleScript can reference a field name in a variable, and can perform actions on a field based on the which field is in the variable (such as getting or setting data to it).

The details of this technique, which can also be used for a number of other advantages, are outlined in an article that I wrote which should be in the next issue of ISO FileMaker Magazine (www.filemakermagazine.com).

Of course, it has that BIG AppleScript disadvantage in that it only works on Macintosh.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck (edited October 02, 2000).]

This topic is 8578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.