Sending email from FileMaker 5 Server

Jason Barker

This topic is 7534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FileMaker 5 Server on OS 9 and a custom web form. The web form is used for creating new records in FileMaker. I want to be able to send an email to an email address provided by the user (via the web form). From what I understand SMTPit and MondoMail/FM are both plug-ins and plug-ins are not supported for server versions. Any ideas of how I can get an email sent from within FileMaker server?

Thanks!

You wouldn't send the mail from FileMaker Server, but from the client user's FileMaker Pro. Put the plug-in into the client's FMP folder, and off you go. FM Server just deals with networked disk-serving, when you get down to it.

-Stanley

Yikes! Um, Stanley...

I'm pretty new to FileMaker. I have been using FM Pro on my Mac for about a week. When I read your post about what FM Server really does, I went over to that box to check it out. I had assumed it was similar to FM Pro (which to my surprise, it is not). So, now I have a few more questions to help clarify your answer to my first question.

Are the scripts I've created for a particular FM file embedded in that file?

If we are running FM Server to serve up the database files, do I need to run FM Pro on the same server so that I can use plug-ins?

Are there web security databases that can be accessed/configured on FM Server? Can they be edited, modified and configured with FM Server (like setting up usernames, passwords and access privileges)?

Thanks for your help!

Jason:

1. The scripts are imbedded in the file

2. The plug-ins go in the FM Pro file on the user's machine, NOT on the Server machine.

3. By "web security databases" I assume you are asking if you can serve to the web via FM Server. The short answer is "no." The long answer is "yes." I'm not an expert on web service, though. You'd best go to the FileMaker Unlimited category for an answer on this, as FMU is what is used to serve the web at large (although you can do it through FMP as well...)

When you're running FM Server, you've got to make sure nothing else runs on that machine - FM Server requires a LOT of disk-access activity, and needs to be left to its own devices. That includes running FM Pro on that machine while FM Server is running. When/if you have to take the server down to do some brain surgery, of course you'll want to have FM Pro on that machine in order to do some work...

Once again, all FM Server does is serve up the database files & prevent multiple users from editing the same record at once (to maintain data integrity) - otherwise, all functions are taking place on the individual client machines, including email, fax, etc.

-Stanley

This topic is 7534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.