Thanks Chuck, still confused though

This topic is 8526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I had tried that already and it didn't appear to work but then I tried it again and everything is honkydorry. Question: If export destinations are determined by last destination that was actually used, then why on Earth does the script editor allow you to specify destinations for the export command? Did Filemaker just make a big design booboo here?

It isn't that export destinations are determined by the last destination. They are determined by what is saved in the script. Many script steps operate this way, including Import, Sort, Perform Find, etc. You perform the operation manually, and when you write the script, using the Restore option of the script step saves the options you performed manually.

I'm not sure why they chose to do it this way. Perhaps because there are so many options for those, it was easier for the programmers to save manually performed options than to give buttons for each one.

Chuck

With all due respect I don't think that addresses my question here: Why does the script editor ask you to specify destination when you're editing an export command if the destination you specify is going to be ignored for whatever destination you've saved with the script? Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Ya got me there, partner. I guess the problem is that there are two places, from a user point of view, to set the location, and FileMaker only accepts one of them.

Chuck

This topic is 8526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.