Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Pro 6.0v4 and XServe

frankie

This topic is 7404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Has anyone used Filemaker Pro 6 on a XServe running OSX Server 10.2.8 or later to host an internal database? I know Filemaker Server has problems on OS X Server, so I reckon using Multiuser on FMP6 would offer me enough speed etc to cope as I only have 2 users. But before I move the database to the XServe I want to make sure there no known problems...

Thanks

Frank

I dunno about any problems with FMS on OSXServer that are different from just normal OSX. The only issue with OSXServer is that it has heaps of other services built into it like Apache, AFS, Samba, QuickTime Streaming Server etc that need to be switched off and disabled to maximise the performance of FMS.

FMS itself should be patched to 5.5v4 which seems to have fixed all the corruption issues.

The big advantage of FMS over FMP for hosting is the ability to backup the data without having to down the server. And speed.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been using FMPro Unlimited 6.04 on an X-serve with 10.2.8 for about eight months now and it's been 100% solid.

FileMaker's being used as a web interface but also has three remote automatic processing machines logged into it with FMPro clients - they input data through shell scripts and Filemaker displays the process results on our Intranet.

The X-serve also runs Acrobat Distiller and Pitstop for automated pdf creation queues - loadsa big repro files all the time and some applescripts that interact with FileMaker. Apache web-serves high res files (like 50 mb) for our image library at the same time. The X-serve also runs the Retrospect backups at night when everything's quiet.

All this lot has to run spot on or we get it in the neck big time as it's business critical for our publishing system. I guess what I'm saying is that if you just have a couple of logged on users then your server will be just ticking over.

regards, jeff

This topic is 7404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.