Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Error's when searching for dates

This topic is 7420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Lo' again all,

I've updated my attendance file and its scripting. Its a little more manageable now. There are two ways that a user could input invalid or incorrect data when doing date range searches. They could search for a date range yields a zero found count (e.g. error = 401), or they could mess up and use the incorrect number of days for a given month (e.g. they could do a search on the range: 1/1/2003...1/31/2003). When i am doing a manual find and i place that in my date field (dateAttendance) it pops up the "The date in this field must be a valid date..." message. This is an acceptable and understandable function. However, when i script my date range search, it performs a find without informing the user of any errors.

I have my script set up to catch errors and i have steps that look for error 401 and deal with it appropriately. However, i don't know how to have it catch errors of the second type, (i.e. the user says there are more days in this month than there actually are "11/31/year").

I am attaching a stripped down version of my attendance module. Thanks in advance for reading and helping (past, present, and future).

modules.zip

The fact that the date is being put together with a calculation behind the scenes makes it harder to get an error message for bad dates. It's a good interface however.

You can use the fact that the calculation date field is indeed empty when what you've chosen resolves to 11/31/2003.

I modified your script to take advantage of that, kicking up an error message right there on the layout, re-entering the Find/pause script again.

I also changed the Copy/paste routine to an Insert Calculated Result. It's just my preference, but I never use Copy/paste unless I have to. It's less steps, and doesn't wipe out their clipboard. The field still has to be on the layout though.

modules.zip

Fenton,

Thanks tons. I really am a newbie developer. I have recently implemented the development standards put together by CoreSolutions and though i have many tools to debug my database problems, I have not had enough experience with filemaker to really know what to look for and where to look for it. Thanks for your help! You've taught me something that i hope i can use in the future.

This topic is 7420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.