Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Converting FM3 - FM6

This topic is 7409 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I have a bit of a problem involving a Mac LC 475 and a FM3 database.

I need to get the FM3 database off the LC 475 (running OS 7.1) and onto a Dual Processor G4 running OS X and FMP6.

I've tried to put the database onto a floppy disk, but there seems to be a problem with the formatting of the disk - all I get when I open up in FM6 is rubbish.

Can I transfer the file off the LC onto an older PowerBook (maybe a 3400) running OS 7.6 or 8, upload the file to a web server, and then download it to my G4.

I really need some help here as the database is critical, and converting it to FM6 is very important.

Thanks.

Version 6 should have no problem opening and converting the file if you can get it copied onto the G4. Are you trying to open the file directly off the floppy? I wouldn't do that. Copy the file directly onto the G4 hard drive and open it there.

There's a possibility that the floppy is formatted as a single sided disk or a double sided low density disk. The newer computers won't read single sided disks at all, and there is often a problem with double sided low density disks too (see explanation below). The quick solution, is to get a new HD floppy disk and try using that.

Further Explanation:

The old low density floppy drive format used a wider read/write head than the newer HD disks. When formatted on an old drive, the disk would have wide tracks. Newer HD drives have narrower read/write heads in order to put the tracks closer together (and get more tracks). HD drives generally have no problem reading files created by a low density drive. However, a HD drive cannot properly write new files on one of these disks because they end up writing a narrow track down the middle of a wider one. So, it does not overwrite completely. There's a similar problem when reformatting one of these disks on a HD drive. The only way I've found to reliably reformat an old low density floppy is to use one of those handheld bulk tape erasers (the extra powerful ones that can erase vidoecassettes), and then reformat. I realize that this is a bit off topic, because the LC475 should have a HD drive the same as the G4, but often we tend to use floppies that have been lying around forever, and we don't know where they've been.

• Newbies

Thanks.

I'm looking at the options for getting this file transferred to the PowerMac. You're right about floppies. I opened the database up (it was corrupt) in BBEdit and found lots of OS X formatting code. What I'm going to try is to transfer the file to a PowerBook 3400 which can be hooked up to the LC via a serial cable, and then to the PowerMac via Ethernet. I'll see how that works. I also have a copy of FMP Dev 4 which I may use to convert the file to v4 and then move it to v6.

I was thinking about rebuilding it, but my FM skills are limited at the moment, and the database contains a lot of information.

Unless someone has a better way of transferring the file (I have considered getting a serial port added to the PowerMac, but it will only ever be used for this purpose so it's a bit of a waste of money) then I'll carry on with tghe method already outlined.

Thank you for your help.

This topic is 7409 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.