More MAC help needed...PLEASE!!

EllenG

This topic is 7391 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I now have my application running on the MAC and created a runtime under OS-X.

Just discovered that it will not run in OS-9. Although I was able to startup "Classic" on my eMAC, I still can't figure out how to create the runtime in OS-9??

Also, the runtime application on the PC is 9.4MB. The same application on the MAC is 21.5MB. The executable file alone is 9.6MB! Am I doing something wrong?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the MAC-saga continues!

Thank you.

Mac OS 9 and OS X, though they can appear to run together on the same machine (using "Classic" mode), are two entirely different operating systems. OS X is UNIX.

But it's not really a problem. You can startup your eMac in OS 9 (using Startup Disk in the System Preferences). Once you do that you'll be completely out of OS X (and you'll have scroll wheels in FileMaker again :-/

Then install FileMaker Developer in that system, if you haven't already done so. There is an Applications (Mac OS 9) folder, as well as an Applications folder, at the root level of your hard drive. Look in there to see if you've got FM Dev installed for 9. It's separate from the OS X version.

Bind in OS 9 with that version of FM Dev and that runtime will run in OS 9. There is no single engine which will run in both 9 and X. People will have to know which system they've got I guess; many have both, as you do.

I don't know what's up with the large OS X runtime. It is pretty big, but OS X is a different animal; things are still evolving.

Ellen:

Fenton's on the money regarding the difference between "Classic" and OS 9. I tell my clients to dump the whole "Classic" suite from their OSX machines, if only to prevent users from getting confused by the whole thing.

I think the OSX runtime is going to be larger than the others - I believe that Developer creates Carbon apps, which take up more space than truly native OSX apps. So that's no fault of yours...

-Stanley

Ellen has an eMac. It will boot into 9. Perhaps you could bind it for 9 in Classic. For some reason I never use Classic. If I want to be in 9 I boot up in 9, if X I boot up in X.

I just tried it in Classic. It worked fine. I even dragged files into the window.

I'm using FileMaker Developer 6 on OS 10.3.2. I don't guarantee it will work well on earlier versions. There were problems with Developer Tool and earlier versions of OS X. It seems fine now. I believe it was OK in 10.2.8. I'm fairly sure it was funky before 10.2.

My application is in FMP6 in OS 10.3.

My eMAC is brand new and I don't have a system folder for OS-9 in my startup, so classic may be my only option. I do have an OS-9 system folder uner the HD. If there is a way for me to bootup in OS-9, I haven't been able to figure it out.

Fenton, can I bind it under classic?? What do I do?? I can't figure out how to actually "be" in OS-9. When I start Classic, it still shows the OS-X apple and menu. Only if I open an appl from the OS-9 application folder do I get the OS-9 desktop, but then I can't do anything else in OS-9...

Arghhhhh.

Sorry if my info was outdated. My eMac is over 1 year old. You may still be able start up in 9. You would use System Preferences application (I believe it's under the Apple up there on the top left; maybe on the Dock also),* then the Startup Disk.

But you don't need to. You can bind it while in Classic. I tried it and it worked fine. But you have the OS 9 version of FileMaker Developer 6 installed, in the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. If you don't (and you probably don't), then insert the CD. You'll see in the starting window an icon for "Start Here Mac OS Classic." It's separate from "Start Here Mac OS X," which is probably what you installed the 1st time.

Then navigate to the application in that folder and double-click it. You can tell you're in 9 'cause the windows will be all kind of square and darker gray.

When you navigate in the Finder (the app that shows the folders and files, etc.) it doesn't really matter much whether you're in 9 or X, it's all pretty much the same thing; it just looks a little different. Just find the files, drop them in the Developer window and bind them.

If you double-click those bound files, they will open in Classic (9), or launch it if it's not open. If you double-click the OS X bound files they'll open in OS X. You could open 'em both at once, and each would be running in its own operating system (of sorts); they are totally separate.

*I don't know exactly what a standard Mac install looks like. Mine is altered somewhat, by Fruit Menu, and Default Folder (which is a great tool).

Hi Fenton.

This is so frustrating...! OK, I have FMP6 CD open. But, nothing happens when I click "Start Here Mac OS Classic". It won't open. (I have Classic running, but I don't know how to actually get INTO Classic mode??)

I'm trying to get a 9.2 Startup CD. Maybe I can startup 9.2 from a CD and then load FMP into the OS-9 folder. Once I have FMP6 in the OS-9 folder, I think I can access it as you indicated.

Thanks.

Something's wrong here. If Classic is running and I click on the "Start Here Mac OS Classic" icon it definitely launches the installer; and it's the Classic (9) installer, I can tell by how it looks.

Are you sure Classic is running? You have to click the "Start" button, not just open the Classic preference pane (though I imagine you've done that).

Click on the checkbox to "Show Classic Status in Menu Bar," just so you can see if Classic is running or not (it turns half black if running, not a very good icon).

Try some other OS 9 application. In Applications (Mac OS 9), double=click on "Simple Text." It should launch immediately, or try to start up Classic.

Did you look at your System Preferences, Startup Disk pane? It will show you all mounted disks that you can start up from. If OS 9 is shown you could start up from that. It would probably be less confusing.

Or we could trade computers. Yours is undoubtedly faster than mine :-)

Ellen:

You're starting to see why I tell my clients to not install the "classic" suite. It's very confusing stuff, and really just a portal to the legacy system...

If you can afford it, you could hook up another hard drive to the eMac, install OS9 on it, then boot from that drive when you want to work in OS9...

-Stanley

I re-started Classic and tried installing FMP6 again... It worked!!!! I have FMP6 installed now in OS-9. (I must not have had Classic running when I thought it was.)

I now have the runtime appl working in OS-9.

Thank you..Thank you...Thank you!!!!!!

This topic is 7391 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.