Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to open file

This topic is 7392 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I created a new tiny file in FMP 6 on a Mac OS X machine. The file is multi-user and has an .fp5 extension. I then moved the file to the FMP Server folder. From my Win 2000 PC workstation from which I administer the server I attempted to open the file. The server showed the file as available to be opened, but when I attempted to open it I got the message "Error occurred; unable to open file."

I thought there might have been something strange with creating the file on the Mac, so I recreated it on a PC and copied it to the Mac. Same result.

I saw a similar post from earlier this month, but that problem was resolved "spontaneously" without explanation.

Any ideas.

Bob

I just read a TechInfo article that reports that cloned files must be opened in FileMaker Pro at least once before they can be hosted in FM Server.

Try opening the file in FMP and closing it before hosting it again.

• Newbies

Thanks for the suggestions. I had in fact opened the file in FileMaker before trying to open it in the Server, as the TechNote suggested, although I had forgotten to mention that in my post. However, the suggestion to check the events log solved the mystery. I had bumped up against the maximum files open limit I had set in the server, and that hadn't occurred to me to check.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

This topic is 7392 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.