Needing some help

TigerBoyAU

This topic is 7216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi. I am new to all of this although I have been using filemaker for a long time. I have mainly used it for just inputing my friends contacts etc. I think filemaker is pretty awesome, however alot of manuals don't help much to creating something that I really need.

I'll try to explain to the best of my knowledge, and if I can have this created, I wouldn't have a problem in sending it to who ever wants it. Currently I have many fields, with photos of my friends, and all the information as address, numbers, birth dates, height weight etc.

I have created 7 tabs, a layout for each, which are. Personal, Contact details, Photo, Information, Messages (TXT), Email Messages and related contacts.

Messages (TXT) and Email Messages: In here I want to be able to add text to these after I click on the add button, and have these come up as a list when I click on the tab.

I not sure if anyone has seen ecorganizer (Filemaker) but I think it's pretty kewl, but it's not exactly how I want it. In the contacts I really like how they have the Appointments, Task, Notes, Messages, etc. I want something like that, but not displayed that way. Feel free to ask to see what I have done so far. I really need some help with this as I have over 144 friends and most of them are online, so I want to be able to keep a track of all the messages and stuff in one location. The most important part I need is to be able to list the messages and when I click on that message it will display it for me and I can edit, add or delete it.

Anyway I hope someone can help me with this.

• 4 weeks later...

If I understand correctly, for each friend you want to be able to store multiple text messages and email messages, as opposed to a single text/email message that you just keep adding to each time you have a corespondence.

One way to do this would be to create two additional files, one for storing text messages and one for storing email messages. You would then relate your primary file to each message file, and display the contents of the message files in a portal on your primary file.

I've never done anything like this before, so I can't speak from experience, but this strikes me as a solution that will work.

• 4 months later...

This topic is 7216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.