Lag in value list

Deee

This topic is 7375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear Fellow FM Peoples,

Newbie requires a little assistance.

I have a value list which is being generated from a field. (Roll #)

I have another field with the value list attached (Roll Selector)

I have a Script which copies the Data from (Roll Selector) and performs a FIND based on your selection.

The Script works just fine, the problem I have is with the VALUE List that is being generated from whatever the user enters in (Roll #).

In that; say you enter a new number in (Roll#) then go directly to the (Roll Selector) the newly entered number does not appear in the value list until you click out of the field and click back in again.

Is there another way that you can create a value list form the DATA in a field that will overcome this LAG?:??

Thanks for your valuable time folks.

Regards,

Deee

FMP only indexes fields (or updates the index) when the user has finished editing a field. How does it know when the user is finished? When the user clicks out of the field.

If it's a scripted process, put an "Exit Record/Request" step into the script to tell FMP to update the index.

Platform: / Version:

FileMaker Version:

You could format the Roll Selector field as a button which runs this script:

Exit Record/Request

Go to field ["Roll Selector", Select/Perform]

The only disadvantage is that you won't be able to tab into the Roll Selector field; you will have to click into it.

FileMaker Version:

Dear Carpal,

Thanks heaps for the tip. I used Poo-bahs script and it works a treat. 30 seconds implementation with success. I had previously spent hours trying to make it work, god I hate being a 'Newbie'. Don't Suppose you can recommend a good 'Scriptology' manual?

Thanks again,

Deee

FileMaker Version:

FileMaker Version:

Ahhh, finally someone who addresses us by our proper titles. smile.gif

Well, there was the Scriptology book, but it may be out of print now. My current favourite book is probably still the Coulombre and Price book "Special Edition, Using Filemaker Pro 5" but I haven't read all the other books so I can't give a fair comparison. Or you could just post your questions to this forum.

FileMaker Version:

This topic is 7375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.